Quick 1st time iMac buyer question!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DC138, Oct 17, 2011.

1. DC138 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

After my recent purchase of an iPhone 4 (which I absolutely love!) coincided with the death of yet another windows laptop, I have decided to make the move to an iMac. I am buying a used one as my finances aren't allowing a brand new purchase right now. I am really not overly versed in the technical side of them, and I have a work colleage selling one at the moment, could someone advise if this is good value for money? It'd be a great help. Everything is in perfect condition with little use..

27" iMac
    Wireless Apple Magic Mouse & Apple Wireless Keyboard (British)
    Memory: 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
    Hard drive: 1TB Serial ATA Drive
    DVD Burner: 8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
    Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 4670 256MB
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 3.33 GHz

Date of Purchase 5th May 2010

Software: Mac OS X Lion, iLife, iWork, Microsoft Office etc. etc

He is looking for €900 (£785 gbp / $1235 usd). Is this a good deal?

Thanks everyone.

2. DC138 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, thanks for the link! Very handy.

As far as iMacs go, would this be a solid high performing machine?

3. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Absolutely. A 2010, 27" iMac for under £800 is a great deal. As long as the guy is trustworthy and you will still know him in a few months so you can punch his eyes if he sold you a messed up mac.
    Seriously though. Sounds like a good deal. You could always do what I am doing and wait until next year for the update. Will give you some time to save aswell.

4. DC138 thread starter macrumors newbie

I work with the guy and he's a pretty good friend so if there's any problems it can be easily solved (unless he flees the country with his newly attained €900, hahaha..)

Unfortunately time isn't on my side right now and I have to pick up something asap, so I have to make a computer purchase of some description in the coming days, even to me with my lack of iMac knowledge it sounded like a decent deal.

I hope the transition from windows to Mac isn't too traumatizing for me!

5. simsaladimbamba

Is there still warranty on this Mac? Apple Care could get it covered till 2012.

6. DC138 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure actually, I presumed since he didn't mention it as a "selling point" that there isn't, but I'll check it out.

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

no it likely would not as it was purchased in may 2010 so the 1 year would have ended in 2011.. unless he got an extended warranty,,, or if you love in one of those awesome places that get 3 years for free! :D

8. DC138 thread starter macrumors newbie

I fear I am slowly becoming an Apple fanboy..

Bought an iPod last year, iPhone last month, buying an iMac this week, and I'm already looking at prices for an iPad..

Definitely caught the iBug. :)

9. TheRat macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I feel for your wallet

10. DC138 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, me too!