Quick 256GB vs 512GB Question (MBA 11")

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by newyorkcity, Oct 30, 2014.

1. newyorkcity macrumors member

Other than the amount of storage i have available on the MBA 11", is there any other reason to choose 512gb over 256gb?

2. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

Here we go again. Get the popcorn, sit back, relax and let the fun begin:rolleyes:

Lou

3. motrek macrumors 68020

The 512GB drive will be faster at sequential reading and writing. This only matters if you frequently copy files around that are many gigabytes in size.

Even then, you are presumably copying the files to/from an external drive and that drive will probably be the limiting factor for performance, not your internal SSD.

In other words, no.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

AFAIK there are still no third party SSD's for the 2013-2014 MBA, so be sure to consider your future needs. Companies like OWC have been promising products "real soon now" for the past year and a half. When/if they finally become available, they'll likely be expensive.

I got the 512gb SSD for my 11" MBA and have no regrets because it's my primary computer. Others may be happy with 128gb, it's really a personal decision that only you can make.

Some people around here have insisted that your SSD will prematurely fail or degrade if you pack it too full. There's another long thread (definitely need popcorn there) where IIRC a couple people insisted that you should only use something like 75% of the available capacity. Personally, I never worried about this...

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

No real noticeable speed difference between the two. Get the amount of storage you need. They both perform great.