Quick Absinthe Question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ideal.dreams, Jan 20, 2012.

1. ideal.dreams, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Hey guys, I downloaded Absinthe tonight and jailbroke my iPad 2. No problems, it took 5 minutes, and it's good to go. After seeing how surprisingly simple it was I decided to do the same to my iPhone. Absinthe loaded on fine, however when ever I load the app I get the error "Cannot open Absinthe. Absinthe could not open the page because the servers have stopped responding".

Is this a problem with the jailbreak? Or is this due to heavy traffic to their servers? My iPad jailbroke right away so I don't think there would be an influx of jailbreakers in that short amount of time.

EDIT: Looks like it was in fact a server overload. It has installed Cydia on my 4S

2. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Go to "Settings" on phone and press it. Go down to "VPN" and turn it on. As the wheel is spinning, press the home button to exit out of "Settings." Let the phone do its thing and it should reboot itself. Once the phone comes back, the Absinth icon should be replaced by Cydia. That is all. ;)

3. lukef macrumors newbie

lukef

I'm currently experiencing the same "absinthe could not open the page because the server stopped responding" error as the OP.

I tried your suggestion of enabling VPN and hitting Home shortly after. I get the "configuration error" dialog but my iPhone does not reboot, nor does it fix the original problem. Have you done something I haven't?

- Ran Absinth 0.1.2-2 from MacOS
    - Completed successfully
    - Absinth icon now on Springboard.
    - Been tapping it for about 2 hours now, with the above error.
    - Read that disabling passcodes could help. Did that. Tried VPN over and over.
    - Just now tried your suggestion of hitting Home right after turning VPN on...
    - Didn't work.

4. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I deleted the Absinthe icon from my springboard and then used the program on my MacBook to add it back again. It let me install Cydia after I did that. Give that a try :)

5. lukef macrumors newbie

lukef

I'm really hoping to avoid deleting the Absinthe icon, because I don't actually own a Mac. I had to use the Apple Store's. :(

VPN keeps failing, saying "A configuration error occured." and the Absinthe white screen never changes: the loading wheel on the status bar spins and spins, and then it says "Absinthe could not open the page because the server stopped responding"... OR, the loading wheel disappears (leading me to believe something's actually loaded) but the white screen doesn't change.

=\

6. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Then I would keep trying. It may just be a sever over load. It was probably coincidental that it worked after I deleted it and readded it.

7. lukef macrumors newbie

lukef

Yep, just going to keep trying. The Windows client will probably be released before it goes through, and I'll probably just use that then. I just miss my JB. :cool:

Thanks for the voice amidst the chaos though. Cheers! :)

8. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I would suggest trying at a later point during the night. Even the with time differences there will still be less people & you might have a better chance at getting through. Good luck :)

9. lukef macrumors newbie

lukef

It's still not working, and I don't think its because of traffic. I wish the Apple Store was still open, because I'd just go back and try it again. It was pretty Mission Impossible trying to get it installed with so many employees walking around. Faking Google searches had never been more fun. :rolleyes:

To anyone experiencing my problem, try this:
    http://ipadhelp.com/ipad-jailbreak/absinthe-server-stopped-responding-iphone-4s-ipad-2/ ...Wish I could myself! :cool: I bet this is the correct method. Can't wait for the Windows version!

:)

10. pazz macrumors regular

Wouldnt get too excited I've tried that and still doesnt work.

----------

I think the servers are down as http://greenpois0n.com/ is not loading at all.

11. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

The problem is , you should have started the "jailbreak" app with the device STILL plugged in , if that doesnt work just had to turn vpn on.

Delete the jailbreak app and do it again WITHOUT unplugging device until it reboots. When you see "almost done , star jailbreak app" thats when you need to press it (unlock if necessary) and if you get blank screen turn on vpn plus remember you need activate internet conection either wifi or 3g

12. iNurse11 macrumors newbie

This happened to me....... then when i try turing the vpn on i get configuration error occurred...

13. lukef macrumors newbie

lukef

Day After Update:

roxxette, thank you for that suggestion. Leaving the device plugged in, even though the MacOS Absinthe was at 100% complete and didn't really specify, seemed to cause everything to go through.

For people encountering problems, try this mini-guide. These are the EXACT steps I took (over the course of 20 or so minutes, not including the drive to the Apple Store so I could use their Mac):

Step 0) Backup your iPhone. And because I'm not sure if it helps (I've seen it suggested, and I did it and it didn't seem to hurt), disable your passcode lock if you use one. Also, turn your autolock to Never. You can always re-enable both after the process is done.

Step 1) Download absinth-mac-0.1.2-2.zip from here:
    http://cache.greenpois0n.com/dl/absinthe-mac-0.1.2-2.zip
    Step 1b) Since I do not own a Mac and the Windows client isn't out yet, I had to transfer the absinth-mac-0.1.2-2.zip to a USB flash drive and figure out where I could use a Mac. You can try your local Target, Apple Store, or buddy-down-the-street-with-a-Mac.
    Step 1c) When you arrive at a Mac with your iPhone, iPhone cable, and flash drive with absinth on it, go ahead and plug in the flash drive and drag absinth-mac-0.1.2-2.zip to the Mac's Documents folder (or wherever, really). Then, go ahead and unplug the flash drive and plug in your iPhone.

Step 2) Make sure your iPhone is plugged in! Now double click the absinthe-mac-0.1.2-2.zip file, and when that opens, double click "Absinthe" (I'm typing this from a Windows computer, so I've forgotten exactly what "Absinthe" looks like in the zip. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out). I believe it extracts at this point. Now look for a little green icon with a skull in it. It should be located right by / in the same directory as your absinthe-mac-0.1.2-2.zip file. Double click that.

Step 3) A window will appear, titled Chronic-Dev Absinthe. It should detect your iPhone within 5 seconds, and when it does the Jailbreak icon will light up. Click the Jailbreak button when this happens.

Step 4) And now begins the waiting. Do not touch your phone during this process. This process will take upwards of 15 minutes, judging from my (and others) experiences. On your device, you'll note the little 'syncing' icon on your status bar. This is good, it means the jailbreak is working. At a later stage of the jailbreak, your iPhone screen will go black and display 'Restoring.' This is normal, it means you're proceeding according to plan. If you look on the Mac side of things, the Absinthe progress bar will detail that your iPhone will appear to be restoring. On that note, this website will show you all of the different phases this progress bar will display:
    http://modmyi.com/content/6678-how-jailbreak-using-absinthe-0-1-os-x.html
    Very handy if you want to know how far along you are in the process. It will take a while. Do not touch your phone during this process.

Step 5) When the Absinthe progress bar reaches 100%, the window should read "Almost done- just unlock the screen if necessary, then tap the 'Jailbreak' icon to finish. (It might be on a different homescreen, so don't give up looking!)"
    At this point, start to cheer. You're about 10 seconds from being done! (provided you don't encounter any hiccups). This is where I made the mistake of unplugging my device before tapping the Absinthe icon on my iPhone! Leave your iPhone plugged in while doing the next step!

Step 6) With your iPhone still plugged in, with the Absinthe window on the mac displaying 100% complete with that message I quoted above, unlock your iPhone and find the Absinthe app. When you find it, tap it. A white screen will appear, and it won't appear to be doing anything. Note the spinning wheel on your status bar. That means it is working. Now, at this point, one of four things can happen:
    • The spinning wheel on the status bar disappears, but the screen stays white with no text at all on it. If this happens, close the app, double-click Home to open the switcher, hold your finger on the Absinthe icon to cause it to wiggle, and then tap the (-) icon to close it out. Then, tap the Absinthe icon to try again. Repeat as necessary until it works.
    • At the top of the white screen, it says "Error establishing database connection." This is actually a good thing. If you're lucky, your iPhone will reboot at this point (I'd say within a minute of displaying "Error establishing database connection") and when it starts back up, the Absinthe app will be replaced with Cydia and you will be done.
    • If you get "Error establishing database connection" and it doesn't automatically reboot (give it a minute to make absolutely sure it won't reboot), then close the Absinthe app and go into Settings. Go into General, into Network, into VPN, and there should be one listing in there titled "jailbreak." Go ahead and click VPN from Off to On. It will do a spinning wheel for a few seconds, then an "configuration error" dialog will appear. Now, I didn't have to actually use the VPN trick, but apparently at this point (if you've done everything else correctly) you click Home to go back to your homescreen. Your iPhone should automagically reboot (within several seconds, as described by other people) and when it starts up next, the Absinthe app will be replaced with Cydia and you will be done.
    • OR, if on the white screen of the Absinthe app, a dialog error message pops up saying "Could not open the page because the server stopped responding", just go ahead and click Retry. I believe this is due to the high volume of people trying to do the same thing you are. If this error keeps happening as it was for me last night, or it finally goes through and shows "Error establishing database connection" but nothing happens after that and the VPN fix doesn't work, then restore from your backup and start the entire process over.

Step 7) And of course at this point provided everything worked and you're looking at a Cydia icon on your homescreen, you should launch Cydia and let it do its thing. It will cause your iPhone to reboot one last time, and then you can launch Cydia again and go from there. If you're new to Cydia, when it prompts a "Who are you?" just choose "User." Now you're good to go! Check out http://jaxov.com/2012/01/top-10-best-cydia-sources-repos-of-2012/ for some awesome sources to add that will provide you with even more jailbroken goodness.

Good luck everyone! I hope this has helped. :) :)

14. jaubele macrumors newbie

I delete it but now i cannot install it again, i run absinthe on my mac but no luck, how did you did it?
    thanks

15. lukef macrumors newbie

lukef

I ended up having to delete the Absinthe icon from my iPhone too. If you haven't already got it back yet, here's what I did:

Restored from backup. Ran Absinthe from Mac again, it said "You previously tried to jailbreak..." and then it'll do its thing, completing within a few minutes. The progress bar will say "Recovered"... close the Mac Absinthe, and open it again. It should show your iDevice as connected and the Jailbreak button should light up, letting you start the process over. Good luck.

16. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

When I deleted the Absinthe icon from my iPhone all I had to do was plug it back into my MacBook, open the Absinthe application again and then click on jailbreak. It added the icon back on to my iPhone with no problems. No restore was necessary for me.