Quick Accounts Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bingefeller, Apr 7, 2010.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

Do most of you log in as admin or do you prefer to have another non-admin account set up when you're using your Mac?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I only have two accs, mine which is the admin and then a visitor acc but I have protected it with password too.

Some people likes having admin acc which is never used but I've never got the thing, so easy with just one main acc

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have an admin account which I don't use and a 'normal' account that is used for everyday use. This is primarily to stop me (or any other user in my household who knows my password) from installing anything. The only person who knows the admin credentials is me and they are only used on that admin account.

4. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

I have two accounts and started with only one having admin status. Then last weekend, I decided to start installing some software dev tools and was using the non-admin account. I ended up giving the regular account administrative privileges. Mind you, this was because I was going into Terminal and running commands in there. When I am installing software from Apple via Software Update, I don't really mind the authentication step.

I might undo the administrative privileges later if I don't need to do privileged things from the command-line.

5. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies folks.

If some of you are the only people using the computer, why do you use the guest account rather than having just one admin account?

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I'm not to sure I can't see the advantage of it as long as you are careful with what you install.

7. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

Simply paranoia, not necessarily well-founded. I've used Macs for a long time, but didn't really know much about administering them. I've also used Unix-like OSes in the workplace for a long time, so I was equating it more to having a root vs. non-root account. Anyway, the difference is having "sudo" privilege or not. (I'm not really a unix admin either).

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Two accounts: Main account used exclusively has Admin privs. Second account is for Troubleshooting in case the main account goes wonky. (two users)