Quick advice needed: the hinge moving!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxap, Mar 1, 2012.

1. maxap, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Hi guys,

Today, my MacBook Pro (mid 2010) came back from the Apple Service Centre. The logic board had to be replaced.

Now, I have noticed that the hinge (the black plastic cover) easily moves from right to left and from left to right: like that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vrqpa2Y2xA

I have never seen it before (I think).

Do you also have it? Does the replacement of the logic board have anything to do with the hinge? Maybe all MacBook Pros have it and I had just never noticed it...

Please, tell me what you think! I am planning to contact Apple tomorrow. :(

2. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Can anyone please help me?..

3. shootist macrumors regular

4. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thx for your reply!
    I had tried to research the issue and found out that some other folks have it as well (like this guy https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3706638?start=0&tstart=0).
    Some people claim it is perfectly normal.
    Maybe the plastic cover just moves sideways and I had never noticed it before? The technician who replaced my logic might have not even touched the hinge.
    I don't know what to do now. Can the hinge or that black plastic cover be fixed if you open up the laptop? The pictures from ifixit website are not so clear about it.
    What do you think, guys? Can those plastic hinges of your MBPs move sideways? (I don't even need to use force to move it)

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

OP:

It's a no brainer, you didn't have the fault prior to the repair. Take it back and get it fixed properly.

6. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

But maybe the issue was also present before the replacement of the logic board. Can anyone please confirm whether his/her hinge slides from right to left when pressed gently? I would really appreciate it.
    Do you think they can fix the problem if I take the laptop back? (it will take me a lot of time to travel back there)

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

8. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Thank you! I will wait for the responses of other MBP owners and will give Apple a call... Sad...

9. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Is it actually fixable?

10. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Hey guys!

I just received an e-mail from the Apple Repair Service that I can finally come and get my laptop. They couldn't find any problem: so, they claim the plastic hinge does not move, but it does.

What should I do?

Could some of you please check my description of the problem and the Youtube movie and tell me whether your hinge moves or not?

I would highly appreciate it, as I don't know what to do now. Maybe the problem existed before the reparation, but I am not so sure. Maybe it is within the specs and is perfectly normal.

11. paul117 macrumors regular

i have an early 2011 15" model and the black caseing on it moves aswell.... it doesnt move if i tilt the laptop or anything it just moves from side to side when i push it gently.... i wouldnt worry about it imo.

12. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Thanks, Paul. I think more MBP owners have it as well. It must be normal...

13. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Well, yesterday I went to the Apple Store and spoke to some geniuses at the Genius Bar.
    I was immediately told that it is indeed an issue and that the whole screen would be replaced. (fortunately, I have the Apple Care Protection Plan until the end of 2013)
    Other MBPs in the store appeared to be perfect and had no moving hinges: all of the clutches were very sturdy.