Quick Advice on trade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by p0werline, May 18, 2012.

1. p0werline macrumors newbie

So, I have the oppourtunity to trade macbooks with someone. I'm always cautious about dealing with trades, but his is still under applecare until august of this year (mine is obviously not). So I figure even if I find something wrong with it in a month or so, I can have it taken care of. I feel like this is a no brainer, but would appreciate some feedback.

I would be trading my 2008 macbook +$200 for a 2011 Macbook Pro.

Mine: 2008 Macbook 2.4 core2duo, 4gig ram, 250gig hd, Gt9400m

His: 2011 Macbook Pro 2.3 i5, 8gig ram, 320gig HD, HD3000m

2. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Seems like a good trade to me, I'd definitely do it if I was in your position.

For reference, take a look at this thread, the first poster gave me some very good information on what to look for in a used MBP.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1120812

Do you know the person you're dealing with? Or is it over craigslist/kijiji?

EDIT: Wait, yours is the white Macbook, right?

3. p0werline thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine is the 2008 unibody aluminum macbook, and its over craigslist; hence the caution. I checked the serial and everything seems to check out at the apple support page for being under warranty.

4. Free Ale macrumors member

Free Ale

Why would he trade such a nice laptop for one 3 years older?

5. p0werline thread starter macrumors newbie

He has a macbook air and no longer uses the MBP.

6. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

I see, to me it seems like a worthwhile trade. I'd say go for it if you need it. Let us know how it goes.

7. goRoostr macrumors member

Honestly it seems like a little bit of a good deal. Unless the person really needs the $200, I dont see why they would trade you. The only concern I would have is that it has a problem related to water/liquid damage that you wouldnt be able to tell right off the bat, and when you take it for Applecare repair, they will void the warranty. Their is really no easy way to check without opening the Macbook Pro and checking the liquid indicators. But you never know, sometimes a good deal is just what it is.

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I think it's a good trade for you, but if I were you, this deal would give me serious pause. If he uses his macbook air, why would he want to trade you for your old laptop? Why wouldn't he want to just sell it. Seems fishy to me.

9. goRoostr macrumors member

Doesn't exactly make sense. Why wouldn't he just sell his 13" MB Pro for money, instead of trading down? Because the way he put it, if he doesn't use his MB Pro, why would he get another Macbook?

bozz beat me to the punch...

10. p0werline thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, and this is what is making me cautious. When I asked him why he was trading it, he said that he already has a macbook air and is looking for a cheaper laptop to sell to a friend.

I am supposed to meet his wife during lunch to check it out, but I'm still cautious about it.

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

12. p0werline thread starter macrumors newbie

I held off, didn't really need the upgrade and it didn't feel right. The money will go towards my new iMac fund:cool:

13. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Good choice, haha. Can never be too careful about these Craigslist transactions.

14. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

Sometimes when things sound too good to be true, they really are.

15. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Wise decision to back off that deal. I've never been a fan of CL even though some folks swear they have gotten great deals there. As others have stated any problem with the merchandise may not be readily detectable. Don't know if you read this thread but I thought it was worth sharing as it happened to another MR member.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1372508