Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hydrocity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Somebody wants to buy my iPhone 3G which is locked to Rogers. They need it to work with Telus (Canada).

So my first thought was, jailbreak and unlock. Well it appears that the person does not have a telus sim card and wants her original number with the phone.

Is this a no go? Is there anyway I can still get this iPhone 3G to work with Telus without a Telus sim?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Somebody wants to buy my iPhone 3G which is locked to Rogers. They need it to work with Telus (Canada).

So my first thought was, jailbreak and unlock. Well it appears that the person does not have a telus sim card and wants her original number with the phone.

Is this a no go? Is there anyway I can still get this iPhone 3G to work with Telus without a Telus sim?

As long as the wireless technology is the same (both GSM) between the carriers, the person can pop in a Telus SIM and go. They will need a Telus SIM tho as they can't just port their number to a Rogers SIM I would think, at least not here in the US. :)

Hydrocity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2010
As long as the wireless technology is the same (both GSM) between the carriers, the person can pop in a Telus SIM and go. They will need a Telus SIM tho as they can't just port their number to a Rogers SIM I would think, at least not here in the US. :)

Thanks. I dont know the technical specs of Telus, but they do support the iPhone as they do sell it.

So it looks like I cant sell it to this person then right?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Thanks. I dont know the technical specs of Telus, but they do support the iPhone as they do sell it.

So it looks like I cant sell it to this person then right?
You could I suppose, but they can't test without their SIM. At least here you should be able to purchase a new SIM or get another from your provider with your number on it. If they do that, then you should be all set.

Hydrocity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2010
You could I suppose, but they can't test without their SIM. At least here you should be able to purchase a new SIM or get another from your provider with your number on it. If they do that, then you should be all set.

Ok, so she is getting a Telus sim. I should just pop that in and everything is set right? I assume thats what I do...

Thanks for the help everybody!

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Ok, so she is getting a Telus sim. I should just pop that in and everything is set right? I assume thats what I do...

Thanks for the help everybody!
Yes, follow a guide like the one at iClarified for unlocking your iPhone model and you should be ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.