Quick App Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by IpodTouch2GFan, Nov 28, 2008.

1. IpodTouch2GFan macrumors newbie

IpodTouch2GFan

Ok, I have an Ipod Touch 2Gen 8gb, and i was thinking of selling this and buying a 16gb, would i be able to use my apps that i curently have on my ipod touch, and sinc them on to the new ipod touch?

2. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

It should work fine, just make sure that you have synchronized your puter with the touch before you restore it to sell, as the apps will then be kept in itunes.

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Apps and other purchased items from iTunes are linked to your iTunes account, not your ipod.

4. IpodTouch2GFan thread starter macrumors newbie

IpodTouch2GFan

I have 1 more question:

I want to sell this on eBay but would they get the apps if i left them on the ipod, and if they do then will i still have them on my computer? thanks for all the help

5. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

before you sell it online, it would be best to restore the ipod using itunes, that way you can be sure that the recipient not only has a fresh 'new' ipod, but also can't get hold of your data

6. IpodTouch2GFan thread starter macrumors newbie

IpodTouch2GFan

i just thought it would raise a ton more money because of the $175 i spent on apps and games, and i thought that would be a great selling point, but would that work for me and the buyer, if i get a new one, and i dont really care about my personal data, because i have none lol

7. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

sounds like a fine idea, but i think you will find that it is illegal, so its probably best to delete it all, but you could if you wanted delete the apps from your own computer and sell them with the touch for a higher price.

8. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I'd treat it like any other computer and wipe it and set it back to factory settings. Much safer.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well... Deleting the apps from your computer doesn't make any difference, since the apps are tied to your iTunes account. If you sold your Touch with the apps still on it, then you could just sync your apps to your new Touch or iPhone and keep right on using it. And the person who bought your old Touch could go ahead and use the apps too -- until they restore the Touch, at which point they'll lose the apps that you "sold" them. Since it's highly likely that anyone using the Touch would eventually find themselves in a situation where they have to restore it, what you are actually doing is just temporarily lending them those apps. So I think raising the price of the Touch by telling prospective buyers that they'll get the apps that you have on it is a rather dishonest thing to do.

10. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I think you meant as soon as they sync. When they sync to their computer, which presumably won't be authorized to the same iTunes account, the apps will be erased from the Touch.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

OH, RIGHT! Yeah, syncing does erase all data not in the iTunes library you are syncing with, and that would include the apps!

12. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

you are very right Night Spring, for some reason it didn't click that they are connected through the itunes account!:eek:

13. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

not if you dont add any more apps from your computer. if you just download apps on ur ipod and sync music on the computer then ur fine. i no cuz i sync my ipod in windows and os x and in windows it doesnt sync hte apps cuz theres only like 5 installed.