Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demarrer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Ok just a simple question, I have the first gen iphone atm... and in the summer i am updating to a new iphone (whether its the 3g or the new one if there is one). Either way i was just wondering, if i bought an app on the first gen iphone, could i redownload that app free on the new iphone?

Thanks

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
Yeah, as long as you are using the same iTunes account. On the new iPhone, you will just have to go into the App Store, enter your password, and it will say something like "You own a previous version of this App, so you will not be charged for this download"

Demarrer

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
what if i downloaded an app for free, but now it costs money?

will i have to pay if i delete the app and redownload it?

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
what if i downloaded an app for free, but now it costs money?

will i have to pay if i delete the app and redownload it?

It works the same way even if it was free but no longer is. If you deleted it from your iTunes library, you will still get it for free... but make sure you use the same iTunes account you paid for them with. I have two different accounts (one for Movies and one for Apps, two credit cards) and I accidently downloaded one that I already had gotten before, but with my Movies account.... so an extra $5 spent.

But as long as you only have one account, nothing to worry about :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.