Quick Apple AirPort Extreme Question PLEASE

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tonycooper, Feb 2, 2014.

1. tonycooper macrumors member

Hi

As well as having my time machine backup on my AirPort Extreme, I also have a separate folder with My Docs. My question is, if the AirPort Extreme got stolen, could anyone easily connect it to a computer and access my files? The router side must be protected, just following recent burglaries in the area has got me thinking about my files'

Thanks very much

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Enable encryption
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11102

Should block most robbers. A sophisticated hacker could eventually break it, but I wouldn't be worried about most break and enter types aren't.

3. tonycooper thread starter macrumors member

Hi - thanks, this is useful. I have checked my settings, and my Time Machine backup is encrypted, but what shall I do about My Docs, which I are not encrypted?

Thanks again

4. Alrescha macrumors 68020

If someone steals your unencrypted drive, they are going to be able to read the contents.

One solution is to create an encrypted disk image - which is what Time Machine does for your backup.

https://support.apple.com/kb/ht1578

Once you have an encrypted image, you can mount it and drop files into it. If someone steals your drive, they will not be able to open the encrypted image as they will not have the password.

A.

5. tonycooper thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, just to be clear, my encrypted time machine backup will be OK if stolen, it is just any other docs on the Airport capsule that will be accessible? Thanks

6. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Right.

A.

7. tonycooper thread starter macrumors member

Great, sorry if this seems like such a basic query. Thanks again