Quick Apple TV Question (Streaming To TV?)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by InfernoUk, Oct 25, 2014.

1. InfernoUk macrumors 6502

Hey guys

I have a macbook pro and a load of video files, avi and mp4, im wondering if an apple TV will let me stream my video up onto my TV from my laptop without lag etc?

I didnt know if it was locked down to itunes or apple services or if i can just stream a file off my desktop to the TV with it?

Appreciate any clarity on this or how to go about achieving this.

Cheers for any tips

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use Plex for managing and playing movies, videos and TV shows. Plex will handle more file types than iTunes and yes, you can stream to Apple TV without lag.

3. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, so i can just use Plex and throw up any file onto the TV via apple TV perfectly? I assumed being apple it wouldnt play nice with files outside of itunes! One of my friends mentioned needing XBMC or something on the apple TV

4. peixesloucos macrumors member

peixesloucos

yosemite lag on apple tv

Hello,

MBP15 late 2011 with apple tv 3, all with the latest software (yosemite, etc). I see video mirror lag. I use VLC player to stream mp4s. Any suggestions?

5. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

If I understand what you're asking, what you want isn't Plex or any of that stuff.

You want Beamer.
    http://beamer-app.com/

It's basically VLC for Apple TV. 0 configuration. You open it, it sees the apple tv, and you drop a video on to it to steam thru Airplay.

I've yet to find a video format it can't handle.

(I'm not sure how Plex even works to appletv without some weird hacks)

6. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds ideal, so for example, i just check in the video file of a tv series and it appears on my tv that has the apple tv connected?

Hows latency / quality?

7. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

Quality is as good as the video file's quality.
    No latency. You can stop and jump to video locations thru the app on your screen. It works with the ATV remote the way it should.

They have a free trial to download. I say get it and try it. It was an easy $15 purchase for me.

8. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks ive got it working fine, just wondered, how taxing is it on the laptop? (2014 Retina MBP) wondered if i could send the video to my TV and continue using my laptop without it being too weighed down with the encoding / streaming process

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Plex works perfectly well with a wide variety of formats, with no hacks required. Perhaps you should do a little research before discounting a solution that you haven't tried. Plex is also free.

10. InfernoUk thread starter macrumors 6502

I did try it, but beamer is exactly what i wanted so im happy with that!

11. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

Generaly, I've not run into any issues, like using Beamer while also running Photoshop, or doing 3d Rendering, or running handbrake..

Does it work now by some other way than tricking the Trailer App? Sounds pretty much like a hack to me. shurg.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The "hack" to the Trailers app is only required if you want to run Plex directly on the Apple TV, without having the Plex Home Theater app running on another device. That's not what the OP asked about. You can stream from a Mac, iPhone or iPad to the Apple TV without touching the Trailers app or any other modification to the Apple TV.

13. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

So Plex now supports Airplay?
    Everything I've googled says either Plex-Connect thru Trailers, or bouncing Plex from your mac to an ios device to Apple TV.

There's another way?

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have my movie library on an external drive attached to my Mac mini, which runs Plex Media Server, making the Plex library available to any device running Plex on my network. I have Plex Home Theater running on my MBP, streaming via AirPlay to my Apple TV, which is attached via HDMI to my HDTV. I don't need to touch the Apple TV menu, much less Trailers, and I don't have PlexConnect installed on my Apple TV. It works flawlessly. I just finished watching a movie using this arrangement.

15. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Mp4tools to convert, then toss on the NAS. I micromanage.

16. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Plex app on an iOS device can AirPlay to an ATV. That's what I use, along with a VM running plex media server on my network.

Honestly a direct stream app as mentioned above would be easiest. Plex offers more options though and requires a system to run the server side of it.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So can Plex on on OS X AirPlay to an ATV. No iOS device required, unless you just prefer using one.

18. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

So you're using Airplay Display for this?

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. If you don't want to use AirPlay from a Mac or iOS device, you can install PlexConnect and play directly from the ATV, by hijacking the Trailers or another app. Either method will work.