Quick AppleCare question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FuuFuu, Jul 9, 2008.

1. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

Is there a time limit on purchasing applecare for my laptop?

2. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Yes, you need to purchase it before your "given" warranty expires.

3. munckee macrumors 65816

You need to buy and REGISTER applecare before the original 1 year warranty is up. If you buy it the day before your warranty is up, but wait a week to register it, they might give you a hard time...

4. FuuFuu thread starter macrumors regular

FuuFuu

so it would be smart to just use the current warranty for about a month before it expires and then purchase an applecare? are the warranties different in anyway?

5. PLin macrumors 6502

The repair coverage of the standard 1 year warranty is mostly identical to that of the AppleCare Protection Plan, but you also get telephone technical support when you purchase and register AppleCare. Without AppleCare, you only get 90 days of support, so if you wait until the end of the first year to buy it, you are missing out on 9 months of support.

Then again, not everyone uses the telephone support. I never use it, so I usually see how reliable the computer is during the first 11 months and then buy AppleCare if I think I might need repairs down the road.

The other difference is that for desktop computers, AppleCare gives you on-site repairs if you're in a covered area. If you don't have AppleCare, you would have to take the computer to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Apple only offers mail-in repair as an option for notebook computers.