Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NDimichino

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
Hello all.

My 2-year contract is up in September, however, I would like to switch to Verizon right now for financial reasons (would be joining the family share plan with my family).

I'm trying to avoid the $175 early termination fee. Is there any way that I can change my plan to pay-as-i-go? Does anyone know how that works? What is the monthly minimum? I wouldn't be using it at all if I was able to switch it, because I would get Verizon right away.

I'm trying to get Verizon now and somehow avoid that ETF, even if that means bumping down my plan to nothing essentially and just finish out the contract, paying significantly less than the $175 ETF.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
The ETF is reduced by $5 for each full month of service. So if you're contract is up in September and you're on a 2-year plan, you've already paid for 20 months, so the ETF will only be $75.

My plan ends in November, but since I now have a work phone, I'm thinking of dropping my plan now - which will cost me like $90 - and just using my work phone and some Skype/Pay-as-You-Go combo just to keep my iPhone active for personal use.

NDimichino

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
The ETF is reduced by $5 for each full month of service. So if you're contract is up in September and you're on a 2-year plan, you've already paid for 20 months, so the ETF will only be $75.

My plan ends in November, but since I now have a work phone, I'm thinking of dropping my plan now - which will cost me like $90 - and just using my work phone and some Skype/Pay-as-You-Go combo just to keep my iPhone active for personal use.

Oh great. I had no idea about that, awesome news.

I called AT&T and she said I'd have to pay $175 if I cancelled now. Guess we can chalk that one up to an unknowledgable customer service rep.

Do you think that's my best option?

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005

I called AT&T and she said I'd have to pay $175 if I cancelled now. Guess we can chalk that one up to an unknowledgable customer service rep.

I just checked the my contract and it clearly states that the ETF is $175 and you receive a $5/month reduction for each month paid in full. just double check your contract, but I'm sure it's the same.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007

Careful with the advice you are getting. AT&T started that reduction in the ETF not too long ago, and it does not apply to contracts that began before they started doing that.

NDimichino

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
Careful with the advice you are getting. AT&T started that reduction in the ETF not too long ago, and it does not apply to contracts that began before they started doing that.

Damn. I'll have to go in there and see what I can do.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.