Quick .AVI Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chris 123, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Chris 123 macrumors regular

Chris 123

I have hundreds of .avi movies on my computer and play them through vlc. I would like to put them in itunes to organize them but handbraking them would take years, and I have them on an external drive and putting them in itunes would add them to my computer's hd.

I just want to organize all my movies (mp4's, .avi's, etc..) even if it means just seeing a poster of each in a thumbnail instead of just seeing a title with the same .avi icon. I would love to change a thumbnail in finder to a movie poster but I don't think it is possible.

I have seen apps like yFlicks and Movie Jukebox but they don't play .avi's and they aren't what I'm looking for.

I have searched for a solution for hours and can't find one. Any help would be appreciated.

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Any app that utilizes Quicktime, including (I'm pretty sure) iTunes, can play back AVI files if you install the free Perian plugin for quicktime. Google it. It's an essential.

3. Nate.Newton macrumors newbie

Nate.Newton

Speaks the truth, go for Perian.

-N

4. Chris 123 thread starter macrumors regular

Chris 123

I do have Perian, but my issue is not what program I use to play the file, it is to organize them. And even if perian worked with itunes (don't know) I couldn't use it because I don't want to change where I keep all the files in my library b/c I want all my music on my computer hd and the movie files on the external hd. I know i should have named the thread something else.

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

soo......find an app that utilizes quicktime.

c'mon, you're half way there.

You could do it with iTunes if you really wanted, just uncheck 'keep itunes music folder organized' and 'copy to itunes when importing'.

However, I do not recommend this. Makes a mess of keeping track of your files in the finder.

Alternately you could set the external drive folder as the itunes music folder, and leave those two items checked, but it would require putting all of your other iTunes content on that drive as well.

Also, if you already have Perian, why did you bring up the handbraking junk??

Also also... any app based around Quicktime probably won't advertise AVI playback, because Quicktime doesn't have it by default. But, since you have perian... try out an app or two that you think might suit your needs.

6. Chris 123 thread starter macrumors regular

Chris 123

good ideas decksnap, thanks. doing it through itunes doesn't seem worth it. but your right since i have perian i can use an app based on quicktime, i think i'll try one.

i brought up handbrake because i didn't know perian worked with itunes.