quick bootcamp question!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sk zen, Oct 29, 2011.

1. sk zen macrumors newbie

I want to install Windows 7 64bit on my mac so I can play Skyrim on it.

I'm eligible for this student discount:
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productID.216644200?Icid=Student_HUB_4up_Windows

But I don't know if it'll work with a bootcamp installation. I read (somewhere) that Windows 7 installation requires the actual installation CD to work with bootcamp partitioning. So...

If I just choose the download option, would I be able to make this work?
    Would I need to choose the download + backup disc?
    Or do I have to bite the bullet and buy win 7 64 bit at retail? Any other decent win 7 64 bit deals out there? :(

I'm running the latest version of Lion if it matters.

2. PhilAllmighty macrumors newbie

Hey!

Just burn the iso on a DVD and it will work I think... :)

3. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

If you have a 2011 Air you can install boot camp using just an ISO and a couple of flash drives.

4. sk zen thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 2011 macbook pro. I don't really wana shell out $$ without knowing for certain I can get it to work.

If i were to burn the iso to disc, what type of disc would I need? And don't I need a license key to complete the bootcamp/win 7 install?

5. Darby67 macrumors 6502

6. sk zen thread starter macrumors newbie

because the product descript for download + backup disc states "the disc will include the software program but no license keys or packaging" could i install win 7 with just that backup disc?

Do i just need the download iso burned to disc? and what kind of disc if thats the case. Sorry if this seems weird/hard to read i'm just trying to be sure.

7. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

You burn a win 7 iso to a DVD disk. Way too big for CD's these days.

You can also create a bootable flash drive. That's not exactly a disk but works the same for installation purposes on supported machines.

8. sk zen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but you're certain? I'm just unsure since I read the bootcamp faq and saw a license key was required.

9. sk zen thread starter macrumors newbie

10. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

You realize the link you provided is for an Upgrade, right? Isn't is common for Microsoft Windows installers to seek out a previously installed version of Windows, or expect you to have a disk for another version of Windows to validate the 'upgrade' legitimacy?

11. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

You'll need a retail version rather than an upgrade, you won't be able to install it at all.

Additional System Requirements
    Windows XP mode requires at least 2 GB of RAM (32-bit)/3 GB RAM (64-bit) and 15 GB of available disk space.

12. Quad5Ny, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

The discounted upgrade will work fine. Below are the exact steps required to install the upgrade clean (if it doesn't work, you made a mistake).

P.S. All you need from what your purchasing is the Product Key, don't bother buying a backup disk or downloading what they offer you (use the link I included or download it directly from Here).

13. sk zen thread starter macrumors newbie

so all i need to do is download the above, burn it to a DVD or upload to thumb drive and...I'm good? Thanks man! :)

14. Quad5Ny, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

15. sk zen thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks. I'm going to try this method then.
    So i'm getting the ISO from the link I shared up top? How exactly do I burn that to a DVD?

16. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

17. Lightningr1 macrumors newbie

it works

I just bought a copy of windows 7 ultimate upgrade from my university bookstore which only was 6.99 and i installed it with bootcamp on my macbook pro "Lion"
    and it didnt even ask for my product key

18. sk zen thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm using a dvd-rw disc when burning the image to disc, correct? or is there some other dvd type i need?