Quick Canada Carrier question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by apachehavok, Feb 17, 2012.

1. apachehavok macrumors member

Moved here to Canada Vancouver for a work VISA (YAY vfx industry)

Have an iphone 4 jailbroken and im going to install unltrasnow on it

Currently I have ATT and I was told that Rogers has the same 3G baseband and GSM fallback for edge. It also roams on Rogers when here.

There is this other company called FIDO that has better deals. I was wondering if they use the same things as Rogers cause they are owned by them?

Same tech. Can I unlock and use a FIDO sim and have it work?

Thanks!!

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Rogers and Fido use same frequencies so you can use either when unlocked.

3. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

you can unlock and use fido, rogers, bell or telus they all use GSM service now...being out west Telus may be your best bet as that is their "home base" area but just find the best deal for you and pick that

4. apachehavok thread starter macrumors member

ahh gotcha. i was told that Bell doesnt use the same GSM fallback as rogers or Fido does so that might not work.

Is that not the case right now?

Just want to run ultra snow and still get things like visual voicemail and such on a canadian carrier.

Thanks a bunch guys!!

5. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

since bell/telus got the iPhone 3GS they have been using GSM

6. apachehavok thread starter macrumors member

Odd. Sorry for the noob question but is that like Edge?

For instance I was told that if I dont have 3G on Bell with my jailbroken phone, I wont get edge as a fallback. Untrue?

7. jdaniel macrumors 65816

what r u guys on about... GSM phones work on ALL GSM networks, sometimes the only diff is does it work on one band or dual and how is the reception based on the frequency/hz it works on....

the only problem you hear about is in the US where one idiot company decided to do its own thing with data coverage..

----------

ALL carriers in Canada suck, its a monopoly. I would not go for Bell, they are pretty rubbish, Rogers is ok but they try to con you at every turn you need to watch your bills and customer service for Bell and Rogers is pretty abysmal . I would go with Telus if the coverage is good. Why dont you buy a prepaid and try and see how coverage is... and this is not the forum to be asking about carriers you are not going to get good info.. go to the other one.. google starts with a H****D, dont know if I can mention other forum names here.. some ppl r real... asses about it.

8. apachehavok thread starter macrumors member

OK. So went into BOTH a Bell and a Telus just now over lunch and they BOTH confirmed that they are NOT GSM and it will NOT work with my iphone from the US if I dont get 3G.

Yes it will work on 3g but once i lose 3G it will NOT work. Both places said Rogers and fido are the only GSM network that will work with an unlocked ATT American iphone.

They seemed surprisingly knowledgeable and both were 100% on this matter.

So yes, either the GSM band is different from the US one, or you guys are very mistaken.

9. joleel7 macrumors member

Bell/Telus do not have GSM they use HSPA (3G) only. If you want to use GSM you must go with Rogers or Fido..

Oops saw your post above never mind.

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Why wouldn't you be able to use 3G?

11. Steve99 macrumors member

Bell/Telus have excellent HSPA coverage, there is no need to GSM fallback, they share the same cell site hardware.

Rogers/Fido are the exact same network, only difference is the rate plans.