Quick charging the X through the old dock??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chfilm, Nov 7, 2017.

1. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Hey,

I have a macbook charger and a USB C to Lightning cable. On my desk I have one of these comfortable iphone 7 docking stations from apple. If I'll use the fast charging cable and usb plug, and connect this to the dock, do you think the fast charging speed will still get to the phone? Or will this dock somehow slow it down?

2. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Try it and find out?

3. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

And report back, please. I am genuinely interested in the result(s).

4. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Not entirely the same situation, but I use the iPad charging brick with my dock and I get the very noticeable faster charging speeds as opposed to using the standard iPhone brick. I’d assume that using the “fast charging” cable/brick would make a difference as well.

5. chfilm thread starter macrumors 68000

chfilm

I just tried it out: Interesting - absolutely nothing happens. As if the dock cant handle this much power and therefore doesnt even throttle it but doesnt let anything through at all! Sad!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    Yea I used to do that too and it was quite quick actually. But not as fast as the fast charging through a usb c block - that goes crazy fast!

6. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Weird! Thanks for the report.

7. chfilm thread starter macrumors 68000

chfilm

Ha, sorry about the wrong information:

So actually I wasnt using the macbook charger but the USB C charger for my powerbank, wich also supports quick charge on the ipad for example.
    It was working on the iphone X, but then I connected it to the dock and it stopped working. Then it wouldnt even work directly attached to the phone anymore!

I now tried the original apple macbook pro power block and tadaaa now it works through the dock. Have to check for speed.