Quick checks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wartnig, Apr 6, 2010.

1. wartnig macrumors member

hi, I am hoping to purchase a USED iMac off ebay in a couple of days.. the couple I have my eyes on are pretty new (the latest 21.5" model). I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on a few checks i can do on the machine if i go and pick it up and pay cash...?
    Obviously turning it on and having a quick 'navigate' around is a must, but are there any other checks i should do before handing my cash over?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Apple Hardware Test (AHT) contains a suite of diagnostics that will test the hardware of your computer. It's is a great way to rule out a hardware issue when troubleshooting your computer.

For Intel-based Apple computers shipping with Mac OS X v10.5.5 or later, Apple Hardware Test is located on the Applications Install Disc 2 and should be included with your computer.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Make sure they include the original install disks.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

It's not the end of the world if they don't - you can get replacements from apple.

5. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well make sure they include some form of installation disks. I mean the computer is suppose to come with Tiger or Leopard and they say Snow Leopard installed it would need to come with the Snow Leopard disks or you'd need to buy OS disks if you wanted a way to restore.

Also if they say anything like Office or CS4 is installed, make sure they also include the disks and license keys.

7. Arrandale macrumors regular

Most common problems reported with these iMacs

1) Yellow tinge / dead pixels on screen
    2) Extreme sluggishness/stutter during flash playback

Make sure you check for both of these