Quick Decision Please - Speck Macbook Pro Retina Hard Shell

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vito, Oct 30, 2012.

1. vito macrumors 6502a

2. Maczor macrumors regular

All look ugly... but that's just my opinion.
    Rather get a small business briefcase that can fit a 13" notebook.
    There are some really nice leather ones out there.

3. DavidQ macrumors newbie

I bought one.

I always criticised people who get a thin mobile phone with high contrast screen and put a cover above all that thin stuff :)

Then I bought a MBP / rMBP that are everyday in my bag, then I bought a speck case.

It is ugly, it does make the laptop less thin, but it also does protect it against every day accident.

4. JoJo Zzang macrumors member

I recommend the satin black case. I've never been a fan of ANY speck clear shells... Satin or go home.

5. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

SmartShell is 30% thinner than the SeeThru cases. SATIN is more of a matte/soft finish compared to the clear plastic cases. I'm still debating if I should buy one also. I'd recommend the SmartShell SATIN Black.

6. vito thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to find a hardcover which isn't ugly, I thought of Speck because they're generally pretty welt built.

The reason I was after a hardcover is I work at the datacentre sometimes and if I'm deploying, I don't have access to pull out keyboard/screen so my rMBP get's put on the floor and in racks etc

I am looking for a carrying case too if you have any recommendations, thanks!

Which one did you go for? Any pics :D

I was leaning towards the black but had second thoughts if covering the alu finish was a good idea.

Thanks! I did manage to speak to someone from Speck and they said the SmartShell is 30% thinner. The clear will scratch pretty easily I assume. Which one you thinking of going for?

Incase don't seem to make one for the rMBP 15", and there's a few being flogged on eBay/Amazon which I don't fancy very much. Any other brands to try?

Thanks to everyone for replying, I appreciate it guys and gals :D

7. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

I have the black. It shows greasy finger prints.

8. vito thread starter macrumors 6502a

How does it fit? Any chance of a pic please, apart from the fingerprints do you like it? I guess if I go for the black I'll be forever cleaning it :D

Thanks!

9. Outkast27, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

Outkast27 macrumors 6502

It fits ok, but it feels more flimsy compared to the clear one I had on my 2011 mbp....Im actually returning it to get a clear one and the the icarbon decal.

Attached Files:

10. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I had the clear case on my 15" (late 2011) MBP before selling it, and I'm planning to get the clear one for my rMBP as well. It does scratch up a bit, but it's not as bad as one might think.

11. Birdmagnus, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

Birdmagnus macrumors member

Umm, you have the top of the case installed wrong. The speck logo is suppose to be on the bottom left of the bottom of the apple. So people can read the speck logo from the back when you have your laptop opened.

So on your 1st, 2nd and 3rd pic (the ones with the laptop opened) the logo is suppose to be on the bottom left.

I hope this is clear enough. Sorry if it isn't.

12. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I have it for the 2011 model and it is outstanding.
    Protected my MBP from several scratches.
    It is even lifted a bit so if you spilled something near, your MBP wont get wet.

I have the clear model and it looks like nothing is on from a distance.

13. *Sonic* macrumors newbie

Then the apple logo will be upside down?

14. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

15. cang87 macrumors member

I was using SmartShell on my MacBook Pro 2009 for 3 years. I had no problems with it at all. Now I also bought the same for my RMB 15'' and it's really thinner than I expected. Of course it's adding some thickness to the device. But hello? if it wouldn't add any thickness to the device, what kind of a protection do you expect from a case? :)

For example I was using only the down part of the case for having less heat and more thin device. People who think that it makes the device thicker can try that.

It's still very thin compared to the other cases and I'm planning to use it for 3 more years too.

16. Birdmagnus macrumors member

IMG_20121031_165601.jpg

The logo should be at where the arrow is pointing to.

17. *Sonic* macrumors newbie

Is the logo not embossed into the case or is it a sticker ?

If embossed and the case is installed 'upside down' or 'right way up' then the apple logo will be upside down, or is there no apple logo on the case itself, and it is purely the light shining through ?

18. Birdmagnus macrumors member

The case doesn't have the apple logo on it.

19. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

20. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

The light shines through. Click on the link in my signature.