quick dumb sleep/close lid question

Wie Gehts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
Ok...

If the macbook is doing something..has an app running. For example, I want to listen to internet radio in iTunes (I have airport hooked into my stereo).....can I close the cover and still get my audio stream or does it shut the computer down?

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
it'll sleep :( as far as i know there's no way to stop it, although i've been told if you have an external monitor, mouse and keyboard connected it won't sleep... although that hasn't worked for me!

It's irritating when i'm using it to watch movies on TV. Just have to make do with dimming the screen

Comment

Wie Gehts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
ahhhhh, rats, it went to sleep.......

fredsherbert..... yeah, you should be able to use it lid closed with the externals hooked up. Maybe you need to set some prefs or something for it to happen.

Comment

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
ahhhhh, rats, it went to sleep.......

fredsherbert..... yeah, you should be able to use it lid closed with the externals hooked up. Maybe you need to set some prefs or something for it to happen.
To the both of you, with a keyboard and monitor and power hooked up, all you do is after you close the lid, just thwap the spacebar to wake it up.

Comment

mach

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
I'd also assume there's a setting where you can tell it not to go to sleep when the lid is closed (don't have my MBP yet).

Comment

Wie Gehts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
Groovy.....InsomniaX. Just the thing to do it. Thanks! :)

So if you close the lid, normally it'll go to sleep. But if you connect an external keyboard, mouse and monitor it'll go to sleep at first but once you start using the ext. keys and mouse it wakes up again.

I just wanted to keep the lid closed while I listened to music all day so the open laptop doesn't start accumulating a layer of dust on it.

Comment

torpy

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
Sydney + Los Angeles
It shouldn't, not serious ones anyway, the fan vents of the MBP are at the back, still visible if the lid is closed. Besides, it's built to be run in 'clamshell' mode anyway :)

Comment

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
It shouldn't, not serious ones anyway, the fan vents of the MBP are at the back, still visible if the lid is closed. Besides, it's built to be run in 'clamshell' mode anyway :)
Serious, no. Major increase, yes.

It is true the vents are on the back and it is designed to run in clamshell mode, but a lot of hte heat also escapes through the keyboard. This is especially true when the fans are revving high enough to push the heated air out fast enough (cause heat raises).

So what I am saying is I wouldn't worry about heat issues and clamshell for normal tasks. But when you start processor intensive tasks, open the lid and let you MBP breath.

Comment

snipersix

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
i tried closing my macbook pro while a usb mouse and my external lcd monitor is attached. when I closed it, the screen went to sleep, i tried to click my mouse nothing happens.

I think the mouse and keyboard trick only works for bluetooth mouse and keyboard..

Comment

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
i tried closing my macbook pro while a usb mouse and my external lcd monitor is attached. when I closed it, the screen went to sleep, i tried to click my mouse nothing happens.

I think the mouse and keyboard trick only works for bluetooth mouse and keyboard..
Before I got my Mac Pro, I used a keyboard and mouse all the time with my PowerBook (closed). Did you try hitting the space bar/any other keys?

Comment

snipersix

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
im just testing this out, with just a mouse no keyboard. I was able to do it b4 but now it doesn't work for me

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.