quick dumb sleep/close lid question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wie Gehts, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

Ok...

If the macbook is doing something..has an app running. For example, I want to listen to internet radio in iTunes (I have airport hooked into my stereo).....can I close the cover and still get my audio stream or does it shut the computer down?

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Why not just try and find out?

But the answer is it will go to sleep and stop any processes.

3. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm afraid it might blow up or crash or not wake up! heheheheh :D

4. fredsherbet macrumors member

it'll sleep :( as far as i know there's no way to stop it, although i've been told if you have an external monitor, mouse and keyboard connected it won't sleep... although that hasn't worked for me!

It's irritating when i'm using it to watch movies on TV. Just have to make do with dimming the screen

5. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

ahhhhh, rats, it went to sleep.......

fredsherbert..... yeah, you should be able to use it lid closed with the externals hooked up. Maybe you need to set some prefs or something for it to happen.

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

To the both of you, with a keyboard and monitor and power hooked up, all you do is after you close the lid, just thwap the spacebar to wake it up.

7. hishat macrumors regular

hishat

8. mach macrumors member

I'd also assume there's a setting where you can tell it not to go to sleep when the lid is closed (don't have my MBP yet).

9. klymr macrumors 65816

Not that I've ever seen.

10. mike dunx macrumors regular

agreed.

just download it. it's a convenient thing to have even if you barely ever use it.

11. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

Groovy.....InsomniaX. Just the thing to do it. Thanks! :)

So if you close the lid, normally it'll go to sleep. But if you connect an external keyboard, mouse and monitor it'll go to sleep at first but once you start using the ext. keys and mouse it wakes up again.

I just wanted to keep the lid closed while I listened to music all day so the open laptop doesn't start accumulating a layer of dust on it.

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

InsomniaX is not compatible with Leopard if you're running that, SleepLess is...

13. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Heh. Gotta love their disclaimer: "ATTENTION! Using your Mac with closed lid can lead to serious system heat problems!"

Yipes?

14. torpy macrumors regular

It shouldn't, not serious ones anyway, the fan vents of the MBP are at the back, still visible if the lid is closed. Besides, it's built to be run in 'clamshell' mode anyway :)

15. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Serious, no. Major increase, yes.

It is true the vents are on the back and it is designed to run in clamshell mode, but a lot of hte heat also escapes through the keyboard. This is especially true when the fans are revving high enough to push the heated air out fast enough (cause heat raises).

So what I am saying is I wouldn't worry about heat issues and clamshell for normal tasks. But when you start processor intensive tasks, open the lid and let you MBP breath.

16. snipersix macrumors member

i tried closing my macbook pro while a usb mouse and my external lcd monitor is attached. when I closed it, the screen went to sleep, i tried to click my mouse nothing happens.

I think the mouse and keyboard trick only works for bluetooth mouse and keyboard..

17. jshbckr macrumors 6502

Before I got my Mac Pro, I used a keyboard and mouse all the time with my PowerBook (closed). Did you try hitting the space bar/any other keys?

18. snipersix macrumors member

im just testing this out, with just a mouse no keyboard. I was able to do it b4 but now it doesn't work for me