Quick DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vp719, Dec 26, 2008.

1. vp719 macrumors regular

My friend coaches a basketball team and asked me to take his new camera and put film from his last three games onto my mbp and make dvd's out of them. All the clips are in mpeg4 format and there are probably 5 gigs worth right now.

Here's my question - is there any way I can make him a simple dvd without going through the hassle of converting them all in iMovie and/or using iDVD? I really don't want to take up 15+ gigs after conversion and spend the rest of my afternoon piecing it together. I just want a simple dvd to play the clips for him on his TV, I don't need transitions or titles or anything and I really don't want to take all the time going through iMovie (unless there is a simpler method in iMovie I'm unaware of).

Any ideas? Or do the files have to be converted and pieced together in iMovie?

Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Can't iDVD do it?

Or try Burn, just making a simple DVD video of all the clips.

3. vp719 thread starter macrumors regular

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

5. vp719 thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried the "Magic iDVD" step and it won't even burn the mpeg4's, it just took 3 hours to render the whole dvd then just spit the disk out when it was time to burn....There has to be a simple way of doing this, if a Dell can make a DVD without all the time piecing together and converting, my mbp should.

No ideas?

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

MPEG4's simply don't play on DVD players. iDVD (or any DVD-burning software for that matter, Dell included) will have to convert the video for it to be playable.

There's many different programs out there that will convert the files for you, but of course this comes at the cost of time, disk space, and in some cases, money.

Personally, I use FFMPEGX, which is a free download that allows you to convert a plethora of video filetypes into other kinds. You may want to check it out.