Quick&Easy Windows 7 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TooL314, Jan 28, 2010.

1. TooL314 macrumors newbie

Hello and thanks for taking the time out to read. I currently run Windows XP sp3 on Fusion 3.01 on my macbook unibody (before they called it pro...2.4 gz dual core..) with Snow Leopard. I have a friend who works with HP and said that he would be able to get me a Free and Legit copy of windows 7 ultimate if I wanted it, otherwise he had another friend who may be interested. I am in medical school and use windows mainly to rewatch my lectures because for some reason they can only be played back at faster speeds on windows (some kind of windows media player issue that flip4mac can't address, they play back regular speed but i need them faster) So my question is what is the easiest way to upgrade? I currently run XP off of a partition that I originally used for bootcamp before I had fusion. I don't really need any files that I have on that partition. Would it be easiest to reformat the hard drive and do a true clean install? I have heard that people have difficulties trying to upgrade, especially if they want to keep their files. Also would it be worth the x64 version? I could get either he said. Or would that just simply use too many system resources unnecessarily? I am not the greatest with this kind of stuff so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much....

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can only do an in-place upgrade from Vista (32bit->32bit or 64 bit->64 bit) everything else requires you to back up your files and clean install.

I'm running W7Pro32 on my 2.4GHz MB and W7Ultimate64 on my MBP.

I would only recommend 64 bit if: 1) You intend to run mainly in Boot Camp 2) You already have or plan to get 4 GB of RAM 3) You either will just use the built-in applications (IE, WMP) or have specific applications in mind that are optimized for 64 bit (some games, engineering software, etc...) otherwise stick with 32 bit.

FWIW have you tried VLC for your lectures. It usually can play back WMV and AVI at higher speeds.

B

3. TooL314 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks for the help. I already upgraded to 4gb of ddr3 ram. I don't necessarily Need the 64 bit version, but I don't want to regret not getting it when I had the chance. But if it is going to slow down my comp significantly more than I suppose it isn't worth it unless there are real advantages to it... Also, do I just simply upgrade while using Fusion?

the lectures are streamed or else i would try that (but unfortunately vlc Only has double speed and nothing in between - so when I do watch something like the Kaplan review lectures I have to use the old faithful quicktime 7 with AV controls)

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

The 64 bit version won't slow your machine down, but it will tax the RAM more so if you are running it under Fusion with 2GB dedicated to it you would be better off with the 32 bit version.

Generally the keys are interchangeable between 32 and 64 bit anyway e.g. I got my Ultimate from the launch event as 32 bit but got the 64 bit image from Technet to install 64 bit.

If you're planning to run in Fusion at least part of the time stick with the 32 bit version for now.
    B