quick email from the finder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eoinmcd, Feb 12, 2008.

1. eoinmcd macrumors newbie

hi ,

new to mac, 3 questions.
    1. is there a way to quickly email a file directly from the finder window ? in the same manner you can send a file in windows explorer by right clicking and sending to your email client?
    2. can you copy a selection of a image from any application and paste it directly into another application, I have been using Grab but it saves what I select into a file on my desktop, I don't want that I just want it to go to the clipboard so i can paste it directly into pages 08 for example,
    3. in the preview app, I wish to select and copy a portion of a pdf and paste it into pages 08, when I try and do it I its pastes the entire pdf page and not just the selection that I just made with the selection tool

thanks

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

1. don't think so
    2. just drag the image to the app you want
    3. not sure

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You can create an Automator action for the first one.

Start with "New Mail Message" from the Mail library.
    I chose to "Show Action When Run" and then chose just the fields I wanted to show up.

Then "Add attachments to Front Message, also from the Mail library.

File>Save As Plugin... and give it a name.

Then you can right click on any file, go down to Automator>nameofplugin, fill in the information, and it will give you an new Mail Message with that information. Someone more versed at Automator might be able to get it to mail itself...but I can't yet.

4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

1 - select the file(s), go to Finder menu > Services > Mail > Send file to

I'm not sure there's an easier way (eg. get it into the right-click menu)

You can also just drag the file onto Mail's icon in the dock, and it will open a new email with the file attached.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

now that's pretty cool. thanks for the tip

6. numlock macrumors 68000

1: Quicksilver and its emailing actions are also something to consider. Can be done entirely with the keyboard. You dont even have to bring mail.app up to to send the email.
    The other suggestions are good as well. Its just a matter of what suits you

2: Any app that allows you to copy an image yes. Check out the keyboard shortcuts for screenshots in system prefs.
    What you want is called "copy picture of selected area to clipboard"
    You can change the shortcuts to something you like better.

3: I dont have pages but when i copy a selction from a pdf in preview and paste it into textedit all i am left with there is the selected area.
    Allthough its a step more what you could do is select the area you want in preview and press crop and then copy the remaining file to pages. Just dont save the cropped pdf when preview asks you to.

7. maxmax macrumors member

1 - when you have a finder window open, drag the file to the mail icon in your dock.

8. eoinmcd thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks all, I'll try those suggestions , mind you I could not find the Services - mail - send file or anything similar to it in the file menu. thats the first place I looked

9. joefinan macrumors 6502a

I always drag anything I want to send onto the Mail icon. It opens mail, opens a new message and the file is attached.

10. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

not the file menu, the Finder menu (to the left of File)

11. AnselTk1 macrumors newbie

Sending item as attachment from finder

Hi - does anyone know how to send a file from the finder as an attachment using Thunderbird as the default mail program? The 'services' item seems to only send via Mail.app and click dragging to the TB icon on the dock don't do nuthin...

thanks

12. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

If you do this often, you can also add Mail's icon to the top of your Finder window. Only difference between dragging to that or the dock icon is the icon in the Finder window might be closer.

I put things like Preview and Photoshop up there so I can easily drag files to open them.

-Kevin

13. rhmanic macrumors newbie