QUICK EMERGENCY HELP NEEDED which wifi router wont have a wifi problem with leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by motulist, Jan 27, 2008.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

YOUR HELP IS NEEDED QUICKLY!!!

Leopard has lots of wifi problems with some routers, and in about an hour I have to go buy one. I need to know which wireless routers will definitely work well with leopard.

I'm about to give my Mom her very first Mac, and she's excited about it, so I don't want her first day experiencing a Mac to be a day of technical problems where her Mac doesn't "just work."

It's a powerbook G4 1.67 ghz, leopard 10.5.1.

An airport base station (if that's what they're called) is probably not a possibility because the Apple store is too far away and so we're probably gonna buy one at a local electronics store or a big chain like circuit city or best buy where I wouldn't count on them having airport base stations in stock.

I need a good list of wifi routers that'll connect to my parent's home 1.5 MBit DSL and create a rock solid wifi airport network.

HELP!!!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I've never heard of any Mac OS causing a router to have problems. Anyway, get a Linksys WRT54G and you're golden.

I've heard of problems with certain Macs and their airport cards, but that has nothing to do with the route.

3. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I concur with GimmeSlack12. I've never heard anything of the sort.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My Buffalo WZR2-G300N doesn't work with Windows over wireless. :p

I second the Linksys suggestion. Belkin has worked well for me too.

5. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's really only the MacBook. Routers aren't the problem mate.

7. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

That's not true, I have 2 different models of powerbooks here that I just upgraded to leopard 10.5 and now neither can connect to open public wireless networks that they both used to connect to automatically under 10.3 perfectly. I've tried everything written in the forums, but they just wont connect. The problem is that leopard has major problems connecting to some types of wifi networks.

Which is exactly why I need to be sure I buy a wireless router that'll create a network that leopard can communicate with flawlessly.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Strange, my PowerBook still works flawlessly. My wife's MB is the one with problems.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I haven't had a single issue with my MacBook.

motulist just pay with cash and try out the router for a few days and return it if it doesn't work. I went through about 3-4 routers before I settled on my current one.

10. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

Good advice, I'll do that. However I'm concerned about my Mom's first impression of the Mac.

She's in her mid 60's and always used MS Windows because that's what my Dad always had. Since she saw my Mac over the past couple of years she decided she really wanted one. I just bought her one and she's super excited to get it in her hands, so I don't want her first impression of the Mac to be that there are lots of problems. I don't want her to be using the net and have it suddenly stop loading web pages and have her not know why and not be able to get the network back on. And even if she learns how to reconnect, it'd still give a very bad first impression of the Mac.

11. smogsy macrumors 6502a

i use netgear DG834N 270mps i can go 200 foot away and still get great signal

never had leopard drop my wifi so :)