quick Excel Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jwassel, Sep 2, 2009.

1. jwassel macrumors member

how can i make my Excel Spreadsheet into sort of an "interactive list"
    each cell being part of a list, i want to be able to simply click on a cell and drag it around, moving it up or down in a list

any ideas?

thanks

2. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Create your list and click the cell by its "handle" along the edge. While holding the Shift key, move it to where you want it then let it go. It's a little touchy, so watch carefully to make sure you're cursor is lined up right between the cells you want to drop it in.

HTH ... Cheers! :cool:

3. jwassel thread starter macrumors member

hmm that is very touchy.....i guess there is there no i dunno maybe preference you can turn on, to make it moveable just by clicking anywhere in the cell?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No such preference exists. Excel has very specific functions, driven by whether you click in a cell, on the border, on the corner, etc. You just need to get familiar with how Excel works, then work within that functionality.

5. jwassel thread starter macrumors member

hmm ok, do you, or anyone else know of a program thats like what im looking for Excel to do......bascially just a "drag-able list"?

6. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

What exactly are you trying to do? Just re-order a single list? If you're just putting a list in different order, move the cells to another column in the order you want them and hide the first. Or if you're not even using data behind them and just want to move things around, play around with using Shapes and Buttons under Draw menu.

7. jwassel thread starter macrumors member

re-order a list, but not just once, i want to be able to open it and drag a named cell across the page to another column, or up or down the list

basically pretend you have 3 columns with 10 things listed in each on excel, i want to be able to have the cells easily moveable, just grab and drag......not where i click the cell and then im either highlighting cells or editing the text

kinda like in a mac folder.....you can click something and drag an item up or down/move it whereever, or if you double click THEN you can edit the text, basically an interface like a regular folder would be