Quick external monitor question..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Radio Monk33, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Hey guys a few quickies:

1) is it necessary to put your MBP into clamshell mode while plugged in? For example, could I leave it open and just dim the screen to black?

2) Is it possible to use a 2nd external screen to extend the desktop?

3) Would using a larger external monitor only affect gaming performance? More pixels to display?

4) Any good deal recommendations? :)

2. hood macrumors member

1. You do not need to have the MBP in the clamshell mode. You can have the external display connected and dimmed or off while connected.
    2. You can use an external display as an extended desktop. I am not sure if you mean having more than one additional display.
    3. The larger monitor would have more pixels, but if the game has resolutions that the monitor should support. I can not offer more insight since I am not a gamer.
    4. You would need provide more information on what you will be using the monitor for to get an accurate idea for recommendations.

3. Radio Monk33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the fast response!

To clarify:

Yeah, multiple monitors is what I meant by an extended desktop. Aka have the monitor besides the MBP screen and have the cursor move from one screen to the other.

As for my usage..I'm thinking some movie watching, gaming, nothing too professional. I went with the matte screen, would it be too strange to have a glossy external beside it? ;)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I wouldn't say weird, but all the good external panels are matte, so why settle for less when you can get a better external that also matches?