Quick Fan Loudness question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slumpey326, Mar 19, 2011.

1. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

I have a new 13in i7 macbook pro and the only time I hear the fans really loud is when I a converting a movie file via media converter application. Is this normal, should the fans be this loud when doing this type of activity. Other than that, I never hear the fans when surfing the web, using word/excel/etc, playing songs/movies. I also have the 128ssd from apple installed in the macbook pro, would that have anything to do with the loudness. Should that make it even quieter.

Just want to make sure that this is okay or if there is a real problem. I think it is fine but wanted to double check.

Please advise when you can. Thanks,

2. simsaladimbamba

As transcoding (or converting) a video file is CPU intensive, there is a lot of power being used, thus the CPU heats up and the fan spins up to cool it.
    Web browsing and all the other activities are not as CPU intensive, unless you use Flash, therefore the fan does not need to spin faster.

3. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

Your MacBook Pro will automatically adjust its fan speed to cool itself down in situations where the temperature for the processor or other components becomes heats up.

For example, converting a video file is typically a very processor intensive task. As such, more stress is being placed on the processor which in turn increases its heat output, causing your fan to spin at a higher rate of speed to keep the components in your computer cool and prevent overheating.

Checking your e-mail, browsing the internet, or composing a document in an application like Pages or Word would not be an intensive task, and therefore your processor would not be producing as much heat. The fans in your computer would therefore not spin as fast because there is no need to do so.

Hope that helps and have a great day.

4. slumpey326 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks you both for the quick response back.

have either of you ever use time capsule, is it good. both a router and backup drive in one.

5. slumpey326 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I am using media converter to convert a video which is what I am doing as I type this, I notice that the cpu temperature is at 90 degrees and fans exhaust is 6200prm. Is that normal for this task. That is the only thing I am doing right now (besides typing this quick post). I can hear the fan going also.

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I'm doing a handbrake conversion right now and have similar stats. It's normal.

7. slumpey326 thread starter macrumors 6502

cool, thanks mike. yeah, other than when I convert videos it is dead silent.

have you ever tried the media converter application besides handbreak to convert videos. Just wanted your thoughts.