Quick Final Cut Express (FCE) import question.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by acearchie, Feb 23, 2009.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I have some footage of the x factor that I have recorded off the tv and its in .avi format

I want to sub some of this footage in with clips of me and some friends so it looks like the judges are commenting on us.

What format do I have to change the x factor clips too and will quicktime suffice?

The other clips are coming from a Canon HG10 so the project is set up in 1080/50i.

I have tried importing the clips and then rendering but if I move the clips then the whole project goes to pot!

Any other ideas much appreciated!

Thanks

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Need more info:

1. What's the actual codec of the AVI. AVI is a container format.

2. What is the resolution of the AVIs are they HD?

3. Are you saying you can import the AVIs fine, but if you edit them they become unrendered again?

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ok thanks.

I have attached a picture of all the information that I can find on the clip.

The reason I want to find an alternative is that the current process is time intensive as it took a couple of hours to be there to render the clips as the program kept on crashing and I would keep getting the "error: out of memory".

It also takes up a lot of space on my hard drive as rendering only 13 minutes of clip takes up 8.9GB on my hard drive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

4. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Use something like MPEGStreamclip to convert the avi files to DV before you bring them into FCE.

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

But if I do this I will still have to render it due to the fact that the project is formatted to 1080i/50 Hi Def AVCHD footage.

I also dont have the space. The full episode of the x factor (around 350mb in avi) is a wopping 9.8GB in DV! So that went straight in the trash.

Any other suggestions would be most helpful!

Thanks

6. huntercr macrumors 65816

If you don't have enough harddrive space for 9.8GB, you'll never be able to do this project. Go and buy a 500GB FW drive ( or internal ). Final Cut takes up a massive amount of harddrive space.

I just finished a project in SD DV video that ended up being more than 90GB ( in assets, renderfiles, cache files etc ) by itself and it's only an hour long.

Good luck!

7. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well I do have enough Hard Drive space (40gb free) and the film is only going to be 10 minutes long with not sooo many different parts. So hopefully it will fit my free space.

I am now importing the clips into imovie and exporting only the clips I need into .dv so it takes up less space.