Quick Final Cut Pro Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MichaelScott1, Oct 8, 2010.

1. MichaelScott1 macrumors newbie

Ok. Im having trouble. Im using FCP 7
    I go to File, Open select my video file(mp4) and open it. It plays with no problem in the preview window in fcp. But when I drag it onto the time line the video plays but there is just loud beeps continously.

Nothings wrong with the video clip. I tried several different ones. Sometimes it doesnt play the video at all and just says unrendered when i put it on the timeline. Please help

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It has to do with the clip settings not matching the sequence settings.

As editing applications don't really like compressed video footage like the one you want to use, .mp4 is a container/format most likely using the H264 codec, an MPEG-4 codec variant, meant for distribution and not editing.

FCP likes its footage using the .mov container/format and either the Apple Intermediate Codec or ProRes codec for video and Uncompressed for audio.

Take a look at your sequence settings and if they match the clip settings in any way. If not, use MPEG Streamclip to transcode the .mp4 file to a .mov using the AIC or ProRes codec for video and Uncompressed for audio.

If you also take a look at the manual of FCP, you paid for the written documentation as well as for the applications, you will find plenty of information about how to properly prepare video footage for editing.

And if you use MRoogle (my sig), you will find dozens of similar threads about this.

3. MichaelScott1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Umm can you please write a step process of what I need to do? Sorry im a nooob

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Download MPEG Streamclip.

Open the .mp4 file in MPEG Streamclip.

Go to FILE > EXPORT TO QUICKTIME (CMD+E).

Select ProRes 422 under Compression and select Uncompressed under Sound.

Click Make Movie and choose where to store the file.

Once transcoded, go to Final Cut Pro, make a new project, create a sequence and drag the transcoded (now imported) clip to the timeline and click YES on the following pop up, which wants you to change the sequence settings to match the clip settings.

And again, take a look at the manual, the abbreviation RTFM is not coming from nowhere, as many manuals, especially for professional products, have a lot of information that will help you understand whatever tool you use.