Quick Fix for NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cave12man, Oct 1, 2008.

1. cave12man macrumors member

I have been pretty bummed about my video card dying and have already posted some questions on here about getting a new because it crapped out on me. I figured out a quick fix for it and hope this will help anyone in the future. The card im working on is a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 w/ 128 mb, which from doing some research has a history of making some crazy awful sounds after a while.

The fix i found came after i pulled the whole fan and heatsink assembly apart and realized that after time the plate that covers the heatsink but has a hole in it for the fan gets warped from the heat and may start to interact with the fan making it sounds pretty crazy or stopping it all together. Simply remove this plate and you should be good to go, however if not i found that if you unscrew the fan from the heatsink and turn it over you will find a black sticker on the back. Rip this off and take some grease and apply liberally to the hole you uncover (the bearings). wipe off any excess and cover the hole with a bit of clear scotch tape. Reattach the fan and you should be straight.

This the heatsink cover i am referring to outlined in red and the screws needed to take it off are indicated by the arrows:

[​IMG]

Im sure someone will have a problem with what ive said but it worked for me and hopefully it will help someone else out in the future. I nearly went crazy trying to find a solution.

*Im not 100% sure if taking that cover off the heatsink will harm anything or if it actually serves a cooling purpose so do this at your own risk. Ive been regularly checking to make sure it isnt over heating with the cover off and so far its been working pretty well.

2. Deville macrumors member

I know this thread is old but thanks man, I just tried greasing my ti 4600 fan like you said and it actually worked. Kind of, it's not perfect but at least I don't have to listen to my fan grinding away.

Should tie me over till my replacement fan comes. I never would have thought to put grease in the hole under the sticker of the fan, I used some nice grease too. Same stuff I grease my truck with lol.