Quick folder syncing help for my mom...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JustGretchen, Oct 11, 2009.

1. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

So my mom has her iMac & a white Macbook. She's interested in syncing just her documents folder over the network whenever both machines are on and on the wifi in the house.

I know there's gotta be a program that'll do this easily for her. I can get it it all setup for her via remote desktop, I just need to know what to use.

Thanks!

2. Olivier L. macrumors member

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'll throw in a second vote for Dropbox. I run it on my iBook, iMac, and (since the recent release of the iPhone app) iPod Touch. When I take notes on my iBook or write term papers on my iMac, the documents are immediately synced with the Dropbox server, and from there to the other devices. It also keeps past revisions of files Time Machine-style, available via its web interface, and provides an off-site backup in the unlikely and horrid event that all three devices are stolen or destroyed at once. With Time Machine and the full system backup I have stored on my HostGator account, it means that all of my most important files are backed up in six places at once.

And yes, Dropbox is free for 2 GB of storage, and 50 and 100 GB plans are available for $10 and $20/mo, respectively. It could only be made more awesome if they offered web hosting.

(Side note: If you register with this link, even if you don't get a paid account, we both get an extra 250 MB.)

4. JustGretchen thread starter macrumors 6502

I have considered dropbox. I'd rather not have anything in the cloud as far as her documents are concerned. Most of them are sensitive information pertaining to her business she's had for around 30 years...and yes it's all backed up already, but having it on both of her computers is just one more way to do that.

I personally use MobileMe and I keep plenty in the cloud, but she's not so crazy about that idea.

There's gotta be a program that does this.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, I used ChronoSync for a while before moving to Dropbox. That might be worth a look.

6. devburke Guest

Good sir! May I point out Dropbox’s “Public” folder?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Dropbox's public folder offers PHP/MySQL? I said web hosting, not an online folder where I can dump stuff. But yes, I do use that a lot.

8. devburke Guest

Ah. It can do sone web hosting, but pretty much simple stuff. It can't run any processes server-side.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm pretty happy with my HostGator account, although at $8/mo, it has left me destitute and on the street. I break into people's homes while they're away to use their Macs and get on MacRumors.

I'm just saying that Dropbox could make hosting more convenient.