Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teengohan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2011
I have the following code in my viewDidLoad meathod:
Code:
	for (id key in dictionary) {
		NSString *name;
		name = [dictionary valueForKey:@"name"];
		[listOfNames addObject:name];
		NSLog(name);

}

list of names is declared in the header file as:
Code:
	@interface RootViewController : UITableViewController {
	NSMutableArray *listOfNames;
}
@property (nonatomic, retain) NSMutableArray *listOfNames;

@end
For some reason the console output is what I expected, a list of names but no values are being added to the array. I put a breakpoint in at the end of viewDidLoad and the array has zero entries. Does anyone know where i am going wrong here?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Where are you creating listOfNames? Declaring a property is declaring a variable: a space to store the object in. It does not create a NSMutableArray object for you. You must create the object somewhere and assign that to the property.

teengohan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Looks like I was misunderstanding a bit of objective c there. I thought it was initialised when I first assigned it values here:
Code:
is my problem that I have declared the array but not initialised it? If so how do I initialise it? Sorry for newbie question, I'm new to this :p

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Looks like I was misunderstanding a bit of objective c there. I thought it was initialised when I first assigned it values here:
Code:
is my problem that I have declared the array but not initialised it? If so how do I initialise it? Sorry for newbie question, I'm new to this :p

Code:
NSMutableArray *listOfNames = [[NSMutableArray alloc] initWithCapacity:[dictionary count]]

If you put this right before your for loop, it should work. You now have initialized (initWithCapacity) the variable so you can add objects to it.

teengohan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Ok, I did that but now I get a yellow warning that the "Local declaration of 'listOfNames' hides instance variable". I ned to be able to access this array after this meathod is done as I need to use its contents in another part of my app, one example is I later use this array to populate a table..

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Ok, I did that but now I get a yellow warning that the "Local declaration of 'listOfNames' hides instance variable". I ned to be able to access this array after this meathod is done as I need to use its contents in another part of my app, one example is I later use this array to populate a table..

I'm sorry, forgot it was an ivar. The correct code is:

Code:
listOfNames = [[NSMutableArray alloc] initWithCapacity:[dictionary count]];

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.