Quick handbrake question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheBonk, Oct 6, 2007.

1. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

In handbrake, I see that there is no preset resolution for the iPod Touch. Could I just use the iPhone preset?

2. Jetman macrumors member

Yes, though I normally lower the bitrate to 600 or so, shrinks the file size significantly without significant reduction in quality.

3. TheBonk thread starter macrumors 6502

TheBonk

I have another problem here. I converted my videos to iPod mp4 format. Now when they're in iTunes, I can't put them onto my iPod without converting them to iPod format in iTunes. That process takes the same amount of time as handbrake. Is it supposed to be done this way, or are my videos supposed to be ready to put on an iPod after being converted in handbrake?

Also, the iPhone preset uses H.264 codec. Would it be bad if I just changed it to MPEG-4?

4. dagored macrumors 65816

In handbrake select iphone, then select MPEG-4Video/AAC Audio in the Output settings to the right. Now change the average bitrate to 600. None of my movies have taken more than 1 hour and all look great on the touch. They all are round 724 meg for a 1 1/2 to 2 hour movie.

You should be able to drag the output right into the movie section of iTunes. I just started this movie stuff last week. Not a problem. I came from an original 5 gig turn the wheel iPod and it still works. Can't seem to part with it.

5. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

They are supposed to be ready for the iPod. It works very well here. I suggest to check "Use iPod friendly file extension" in Handbrake's preferences menu:

Attached Files: