Quick HDMI Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnotherFanBoy, Oct 2, 2009.

1. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Hey guys

So I just moved house and got a new 32" LCD TV. I bought a mini display port -> HDMI adapter, plugged it into my macbook and then put a HDMI cable from the adapter into the TV. The video is fine, works great.

However, I don't get any sound. I know the mini display port can't handle sound, so I tried putting a 3.5mm cable into the macbook then into the 3.5mm port in the back of the TV, nothing.

So I figured I need something like this:

http://www.currys.co.uk:80/martprd/...m=11&sm=7&tm=1&sku=172181&category_oid=-35836

Can anyone confirm this is the right product to get?

Thanks guys

P.S. I use the default 720p resolution, but the top of the menu bar and bottom of the dock are cut off on the TV, it's the same when I change to 1080i, any ideas?

2. FnuGk macrumors regular

i have been wondering how to make use the speakers in your tv when you only connect to it via a video port that has no sound (i use the vga one atm).

but for me it doesnt really matter that much as i am using external speakers anyway so im just hooking the sound up to my amp and the sound flows :)

3. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

That would work. Also a Tos-Link/Digital Audio cable would work as well.

You need these because the sound is not delivered over the DVI port.

4. Cboss macrumors 6502

Yes, that's the same type of cable I use to get sound when connecting to my TV.

My TV also cuts off the very top and bottom of the screen. I've tried about every setting but nothing seems to fix it. Hopefully someone else has solved this problem.

5. andrewhart macrumors newbie

Hmm

It might not work, while the TV is set to HDMI it usually will not amplify any other audio input as its expecting audio to come in via HDMI, the jack input you arbe using will probarly work when you are connected to the PC input (VGA9/DVI), I'd suggest you use the PC in unless you need a protected content path..

6. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

You have to ensure that the audio input you are using is mapped to the same input channel as the HDMI input. Many HDTVs come with several input channels and you can't just mix and match any audio inputs with any video inputs. The problem is that since HDMI also carries sound, a manufacturer might be tempted to not put separate audio input jacks on the HDMI input channel. Here is an example of an HDTV that does allow separate audio that is on the same channel as HDMI. You have to use HDMI #1 (also labelled DVI) and use the DVI AUDIO IN audio jacks that match. There is a 3.5mm jack in the upper right, but the little box around it and the VGA adapter labelled PC IN mean this 3.5mm jack can only be used with a VGA connection. This should be covered in your HDTV owners manual (or online if you don't have the manual anymore.

7. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

jzuena is right. Most TVs will have one HDMI port with stereo RCA audio inputs (red and white) for situations like this. I have never seen a TV that has a 3.5mm mapped to the HDMI, it's always RCA.

Also change your tv to something like 'just scan', by using the aspect ratio adjustment on your TV. That way it will not cut off the edges, otherwise set it to 1360x768 if it is not on that already, that is the resolution of pretty much every '720p' LCD.

8. mastershakess macrumors 6502

9. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

10. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

In the display settings you should see a checkbox for "Overscan"