Quick help about WIFI pci Card for G5!!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simplymuzik3, Apr 5, 2009.

1. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

Okay, I need some really quick advice! I have a G5 june 2004 dual 1.8ghz with pci-x slots. I am thinking of purchasing this:
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3246388&CatId=2697
    Will it work? Its standard PCI, but will it work with PCI-X? I tried installing an old PCI usb card and it wouldnt fit properly, so I want to be sure that this will work! Here is a pic of the slots in the G5. Im concerned about the length of the card, because when I tried to put the USB card in, it wouldnt reach all the way to the slot in the back(metal plate thing).

Attached Files:

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

PCI-X is backwards compatible with most PCI cards. You should be fine.

If you want an 802.11n card you should check out Macsales.com. Just throwing that out as a possibility so you could more easily upgrade your network to 802.11n only.

3. simplymuzik3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice. :D Im think i'm going to end up getting the wireless G card, instead of the n, because N is only better for transferring files over my network, and I dont do that very often. And I don't have a N router at this time, so maybe later on I can upgrade:) Thanks. If anyone else has any more info that would be helpful to me, please post! Thanks =)

4. txnoob macrumors 6502