Quick help: dvd to to imovie...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by scooterguitar, Sep 22, 2010.

1. scooterguitar macrumors regular

Shot and edited video, created simple imovie. Burned to DVD. (had to erase tons from macbook), deleted from mac.
    Copied the dvd to the freshly clean macbook...
    Folder comes opens with audio_ts and video_ts
    Nothing in audio folder
    video folder has files ts.bup, ifo, vob extensions...

What do I need to do to open the files, which app, etc?
    I basically need to reload this footage into imovie for for more editing.
    Thank you!

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

There shouldn't be anything in the AUDIO_TS folder, so don't worry about that.

As for getting your DVD into iMovie, you need to convert each of those vob files to DV. There are several applications that can do this, but the easiest to use is MPEG Streamclip, freely available.

After converting the vobs to DV, import into iMovie and edit away. But for future reference, you should keep any and all iMovie project files until you are 110% certain you won't need them again. You lose a lot of picture quality by burning to a DVD (mpeg-2) and then transcoding again back to DV and then again back again to mpeg-2 for a DVD.

3. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

The two ways I know of to do this are to use Handbrake to rip the DVD to H.264, then MPEG Streamclip to convert that to Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC), or buy the Quicktime MPEG-2 component and use MPEG Streamclip to rip the DVD directly to AIC.

I recommend ripping to AIC rather than DV because, without going into detail, AIC is a better fit.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Though I read that AIC is better as DV, can you point me to an article or three, that point out why AIC is a better fit for SD material than DV?

Has it to do with colour sampling and less compression (higher bitrate)?

5. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Simply because DVD and AIC both use 4:2:0 subsampling, and NTSC DV uses 4:1:1.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ah, I'm used to that other broadcasting standard, ;) called PAL, which has 4:2:0 subsampling, thus always my proposal to use DV in such cases, as I often forgot the NeverTheSameColor broadcast standard.

7. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

And a superior standard it is, too. None of this "oh, should I use 30 fps or 25 fps for the 'film look' ?" no sirree, it's 25 fps all the way.

8. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replys, but wow...way over my head:eek:
    I'll maybe try the streamclip convertor and see what I can figure out.
    Appreciate it.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You need the QT MPEG-2 Playback Component for that though, unless you go via Handbrake.

The following quote is taken from similar threads:

10. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Got handbrake, converting movie to mp4 format now, as that is my only option other than mk4, is this correct?
    Then use streamclip to convert?
    This is for school.

11. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Yep. Couple of suggestions for Hankbrake: set an Average Bitrate of 6000, and under Picture Settings make sure that Crop is off and the Output dimensions match the Source.

12. yarabella macrumors newbie

iMovie support DV, HDV, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and even AVCHD. If you want to import DVD to iMovie for editing, you just need a right DVD converter to convert DVD to iMovie mp4/mov, then you can put the converted video into imovie program.For free you have handbrake, If you want to pay there is, I advice you DVD to iMovie Converter for Mac, it works pretty well. my friends recommend it to me, If you are interested in it, you can free download it to have a try too.