Quick Help Moving Files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrgreen4242, Aug 23, 2008.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I need to move a bunch of files that are in about 20 sub-directories into a single directory. There's other files in the subs as well, but I don't want those, just files with a particular extension. Any help??

2. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I figured there was a way to do it with Automator, but I've no idea how...

3. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Automator can do this.

Get Specified Finder Items (point this to the folder that is holding all your subdirectories) >
    Get Folder Contents (make sure to check the "Repeat for each subfolder found" option) >
    Filter Finder Items (filter by name extension) >
    Move Finder Items (the place to move the items)

Annnd to make sure you don't screw anything up the first time you run this replace the last action "Move Finder Items" with "Revel Finder Items" ti make sure it's working OK.

Edit: To slow. You already goofed. :p

4. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Think I got it using Automator... but any advice still appreciated. I goofed it up the first time I tried so I am redownloading the files from my camcorder to try again. About 30gb worth, so it takes half an hour or so. :rolleyes:

EDIT:
    That's what I did at first and screwed myself up with (there are files in each sub directory with the same name), so I'm redownloading the data (see above) and going to do the same thing but with a copy and rename (appending the creation date to the file) instead.

Thanks a ton!!