quick help needed on macbook's iPhoto..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tongteh, Nov 15, 2008.

1. tongteh macrumors 6502

so the story goes like this: i put all my photos into user: name: pictures folder and have multiple folders in there.. then today, i came to realization that every time i delete a picture from iPhoto it is not being deleted in my folder.. :( then i did a search on google knowing that iPhoto actually creates a new library photo for all my pictures? does that mean now i have two copy of every pictures(i don't want this)? is it possible to delete pictures in a faster way? like for example is it possible that when i see a picture in iPhoto, decided to delete it and that file would actually go into trash?

and PhotoBooth, do you people normally drag all the files out from the photo booth's folder? cause what i am seeing is that all the previous photos taken in photo booth remains in photo booth's application. and when i clear the pictures in photo booth they will all be deleted along! so is my alternative to copy the photo booth pictures into another folder and then delete everything on photo booth?

right now i am thinking to delete everything i have in iPhoto and change my preferences of not creating another copy and finally recreating my photo library? is this a good decision?

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

i ditched iPhoto all together for that same reason.
    What i did was make a folder in my document stack in the dock, one for pictures and one for videos. then inside those folders i just create a new folder/event name for the group of pictures or movies.

dont know if that helped u with anything but thats how my pics are grouped or organized right now, whatever u wanna call it

3. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

lol.. that would be a pretty bad idea isn't it? i am thinking of changing to photoshop element.. that looks pretty neat.. :) but iPhoto is seriously having some glitch in it or if not i am the one who don't know how to use it.. :p

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Just import all your photos into iPhoto. Then delete the originals (or back them up somewhere)

As for photobooth, why do you need to move the pictures? Just leave them in the photobooth folder. It's a lot easier for everyone if you just leave things where they are.

5. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

This is where you are going wrong, you are copying your pictures into that folder.
    If you like Iphoto and want to use it full time then you should "import" your photos into Iphoto and not copy them to a folder.
    This way Iphoto manages all of your photos for you and when you delete your picture from iphoto, it will actually be deleted.

I came from a windows background and it took me a while to get out of the habit of moving pictures around in folders, but think iphoto works great for me now.

I also believe that other applications like Adobe Lightroom work in the same way by having its own "library".

6. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

cause i want to use photo booth with someone else and not having them to know that i have use photo booth with another person.. :eek: now everytime i open up photo booth(application), it will show up previous taken photos. but i don't want that, so i dunno if i should copy the file into another folder..

i think i get what you mean, i did quite some reading today.. and yes, i would agree with you that it's the windows background that causing me to have anohter folder. :p