Quick Intel X-25M Question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ildondeigiocchi, Dec 2, 2009.

1. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Ok so so since OSX doesn't have trip support would their be any advantage in buying the G2 Intel SSD for Mac OSX 10.6 instead of the G1 drive. The G2 drive is current 40$ more expensive online on NCIX compared to newegg's G1. So is the 40$ really worth it?

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

The differences in performance between the two generations are minimal. As you point out the G2's have TRIM support which OSX currently lacks (although one day might support it). However, the Intel drives hold up very well under heavy usage, minimizing the need for Trim compared to competing drives.

The G2 160GB drive does have somewhat better sequential write performance but the two generations of 80GB drives are nearly identical.

The big difference was the move to 34nm NAND which was supposed to dramatically reduce the cost/price of the G2 drives... but so far, that hasn't really materialized on average street prices as you are seeing first hand.

It's really your call... for $40, I'd probably go with the G2 just for the potential of future Trim support and perhaps better firmware support going forward.

3. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Go for the G2 - I just recently bought a 160Gb G2 for $414 at newegg and put it in my Macbook Pro. If in future you want to run Win7 or OS X gets TRIM support and just to have all the benefits of the new SSD (G2 performs significantly better) - it makes sense to get the G2

4. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Thanks for the advice. I'm still stuck on the issue. Maybe i'll just flip a coin ;)