Quick iPhone 3.0 A2DP Question?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by essential, May 25, 2009.

1. essential macrumors regular

I know that A2DP has been announced as an official feature of iPhone OS 3.0, but I'm not sure exactly what that means. I understand that means the iPhone will support stereo bluetooth audio. What I don't understand is if that means if the iPhone will actually be the bluetooth transmitter as well?

Currently if you buy bluetooth headphones, you still need a bluetooth transmitter such as the Sony Bluetooth Wireless Transmitter (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bluetooth-Wireless-Transmitter-Black/dp/B000XRW09Y/).

With A2DP in the iPhone 3.0 software, will we be able to just buy bluetooth headphones, and have the iPhone be able to transmit the audio itself, or will we still need a transmitter?

Thanks.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

For the Blue tooth, your iPhone can act as a transmitter.
    It has a bluetooth chip inside it that can find/send transmissions over bluetooth.

You can just buy your headphones, and connect wirelessly to your iPhone.
    (After 3.0 that is)

3. essential thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, I know for phone calls and such you don't need a transmitter now, but if you want to listen to music over bluetooth headphones, you need a transmitter. But your second comment answered my question, after 3.0 I'll only need to buy headphones and i'll be able to listen to stereo bluetooth audio and only need a pair of headphones.

Thanks!

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Just make sure you have the iPhone 3G because the original cannot do it.

5. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

A2DP is a bluetooth profile that allows streaming stereo audio through bluetooth. It's a higher quality stream compared to the normal mono stream for normal bluetooth headsets for listening to music.

To answer your question, it's not so much a transmitter that's needed (actually that transmitter you mentioned is nothing different hardware-wise to the built-in transmitter of the iPhone), but the proper software or 'profile' is needed to send stereo audio over the built-in iPhone BT transmitter. iPhone 3.0 is supposed to include this software, so in effect you wouldn't need any external transmitter - with the right profile, it will just work.

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

....if he has an iPhone 3G...

7. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

That's the thing, isn't the BT transmitter the same on the iPhone and iPhone 3G? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sounds like the MMS issue too. Infineon says the chipsets in the iPhone and iPhone 3G are similar in regards to MMS and is controlled at the software level (I'm lookin' at you Apple).

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

As it is right now, Apple doesn't want the first gen owners to enjoy bluetooth stereo music. Okay? That's all I'm saying. If he wants it to actually work, he'll have to have an iPhone 3G. He didn't mention which model he had, so I was just putting it out there.

9. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Uh, Okay? Thank you for your concern.

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

No problem.

11. essential thread starter macrumors regular

I do have an iPhone 3G, so it will work for me, and i'm excited I won't have to spend extra money.

Thanks again everyone.

12. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

FYI, I've been using a Sony TMR-BT10 bluetooth unit for bluetooth stereo audio from my 3G for months and it works great. It routes all audio through the unit, music, phone call audio, notifications, everything, and it works well for a phone call since, I guess, the microphone in the phone is sensitive enough that it all works. The Sony unit just plugs into the headphone jack. Anyone with a 2G that who's grown tired of those lame, corded, uncomfortable headsets can always do this.