Quick iPhone 32g question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andy2004, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Andy2004 macrumors newbie

Im looking to buy an iphone 3g, as always before i buy something MAC i check the buyers guide on this site and it says not to buy.

Question is: Will the release of the 32gb NAND chips bring down the costs or bring any other improvements to the 8 and 16gb models of the iPhone 3G?

Thanks for the advise, Andrew

2. Cakester macrumors regular

Truth be known that if we knew the answer to this question, it would be news....not a rumor.

But with that said, I think they could go one of two ways personally. I think they "could" bump the low end iphone to 16gb and the higher to 32gb maintaining the same price points(maybe baiting the 8gb for the $99 price point)..................or................they will just wait until the next major hardware release which seems to happen once a year.

My motto is that all roads lead through iTunes. For apple it's not just about the hardware, but if they can convince you that the place to get stuff is through iTunes, you'll buy from there.

3. gjw4u macrumors 6502

If you want iPhone now, buy it now, if you want 32GB version, you might be in for a loooong wait.

4. Andy2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah.

When i bought my Mac, they released a new one with a faster processor about 10 days later, id hate to buy the 8gb iphone then the 16gb is the same price a week later.

Oh well, il probably just grab one this week, would only be the 8gb (mabey the 16gb) anyway...

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

For over a year I have been looking at macs. Macs prices, unlike PCs, do not seem to fluctuate with the current market prices.
    Appleposts prices for an item and it remains the price until the next genration is released or about to be released.

I think the 8G would be obsolete with the release of the 32G rather than lower the price. Will the 16G drop down to $199 and the 32G be $299 possibly,

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You should pay more attention to the news, then. You could have easily returned it, as well, except it still worked perfectly, so there's nothing to complain about.

7. Cakester macrumors regular

That's exactly my philosophy...if I'm a couple days early, I can fix it.....if I'm a 3 months off, well that's electronics, period. If history serves us right, the hardware won't be updated until June, but there may be a storage bump before that.

8. svndmvn Guest

If the 32GB iPhone is available in June I doubt the 8GB would be discontinued, I find it sells pretty good, unlike the 4GB. I also doubt the price would be dropped, look at iPod touches. I also suspect it would be logical to keep the Phone hardware wise the same for a little longer, so no, in my opinion, apart from the storage bump there would be no improvements, just a new firmware but that has nothing to do with storage, and the older models would get that too.

9. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Well last year, wasn't the 16GB iPhone released in February? I sure hope the same is true for the 32GB this year. I have zero free space on my phone. :rolleyes:

10. Andy2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wasn't complaining, was my mistake and it was only a minor update anyway (processor update and an extra 512 mb ram i think).

Cheers for the advise everyone. Think im gona grab the 8gb iphone 3g for £99 on the £35/m contract sometime this week.

Can't wait :)

11. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

While I expect the next iPhone to have a 32 gig version, given how bad the economy is right now, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple held back in releasing that until the next iPhone comes out...

12. hsk macrumors regular

I am in the same boat - but I think I am going to wait until at least next month (just in case). I don't really care about 32gb - 8gb will be plenty for me, but I just don't want to buy on now and then see a new one with "significant" hardware improvements come out. Since there are a LOT of smartphone options in the pipeline for the next 6-8 months (rumors included), I might even wait a few more months until the rumors get stronger!

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

IMO, I don't think the economy would stop someone from buying a new phone, let alone an iPhone. :)

14. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Here's the thing, remember when the 32 GB iPod Touch came out? Prices for that device was like 500 bucks and the 8 GB iPod Touch still did not lower it's price. Well, I guess they might follow the same track and release a 32GB iPhone for 399 with contract and that $499 64GB iPod Touch. Typing this on my newly bought iPhone!:D

15. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

MAC is a line of cosmetics
    Macbooks are the computers
    And the iPhone is Apple, not Mac