Quick iPhone 4S Question about Carriers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

So now that everything is integrated and all phones are GSM capable, Apple is producing only one iPhone 4S which can be activated on AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint correct?

Someone asked me as they were looking to buy on Sprint, but said if it didn't work well, he wanted to take the phone to AT&T and sign up with them.

I have not paid a lot of attention to the details around this, so I was not sure if Apple is only making one single iPhone 4S in black and white in 16, 32, and 64GB models?

Does anyone know for sure if this can be done?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Generally, no. The phone is still locked to the particular carrier it's sold for. The only way around that is to buy an unlocked phone which is more expensive (since there's no subsidy) and I'm not even sure Apple is selling unlocked 4S's in the U.S. right now.

BUT, some people have been reporting that Sprint phones ARE coming unlocked when you buy them. (Locked to Sprint on the CDMA side, so you can't go to Verizon, but not locked on the GSM side, so you could go to AT&T.) So perhaps your friend can do it! However, Sprint is also saying that's a mistake, so perhaps that won't last forever.

The bottom line is that it might work, but ONLY if he buys a Sprint phone first, and even then it's risky as Sprint has the right to change this instantly, and your friend could get screwed if they do.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Even if the phone was unlocked and would work on AT&T, the person would still pay a $350 ETF to Sprint and get no breaks on the AT&T plan.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just return the phone to Sprint (or Apple if bought from Apple) and then buy a new one on AT&T.

4. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

All the points are valid and I just told her return it dump Sprint for AT&T, or Verizon, I prefer AT&T and they know the service I get so they woulod lean that way.

I think Apple is selling Unlocked iPhone 4s's in the USA now, but with the backorders I am not sure when you will be able to buy one.

I think it is crazy to spend $549 for iPhone 4 8GB, or $649 for 4S 16GB, or $749 for 32GB 4S, or even $849 for 64GB iPhone 4S but I see some folks doing it when I went in to get my sons 4 replaced under warranty, some ppl bought the 3GS or got it for free, and one lady had to buy a new 4S under contract with AT&T for another year so her and her daughter paid $750 for the 32GB White 4S on AT&T.....Crazy if you ask me especially if you do not work outside the country and have no reason to pay full retail for an unlocked 4S or 4 for that matter?

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

How do you know those people didn't have a reason? Not being tied to a contract is reason enough for many. Never assume your preferences are universal.