Quick iPhone question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chad H, May 16, 2008.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    My little brother wants a 16GB iPhone. I have been telling him about the SDK and application store. What I want to know is if he went ahead and purchased one can the appilcation store be purchased on this model or have they just scraped it and everything is going to be for the 3G version that is "rumored" to be coming out. He is out a phone right now and needs one.

2. scr1968 macrumors regular

Yes...the 2.0 software update next month is going to allow all iPhones to download applications. You will not need a new phone in order to do this.

SCR

3. nineteentwelve macrumors regular

It'll be a free software update too!

4. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Okay, will their be a difference between what the "new" iPhone can download and the old one?

5. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Ofcourse he will...

Im very excited bout AppStore but it will be addictive and i will spend money on it..

6. nineteentwelve macrumors regular

Nobody can be sure just yet, but if an App uses technologies that aren't in the current iPhone but are in the new iPhone then some apps won't work to their complete functionality. For instance, if an App relied solely on 3G data for it's communication methods, then no, it won't work on the current iPhone.

7. neven macrumors 6502a

nineteentwelve has it right. That said, if your brother can patiently wait for another 6 weeks or so, he'll get a better iPhone for the same money (or possibly less). Don't get me wrong, even the current one is great and will be greater with the advent of the App Store, but if he can at all wait... I'd recommend that he does that.

8. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Right, but I don't think an app can be written to use only one type of data. Why would they create a '3G only' option when Wi-Fi is going to be superior in terms of speed anyway?

9. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Apps for the iphone will be written exactly like apps for the mac. Since the new iphone isn't yet available to anyone, developers writing for the SDK are building apps to work with the existing hardware. When new hardware is available, they will simply add new features to their apps to support the new features. But, for the most part, these apps will retain compatibility with the hardware they were originally written for. So for example, an ichat app released to take advantage of a built in camera in iphone2 would still work on the original iphone, but would only allow text chats, just like ichat in MacOS allows video chats when a camera is present, but only text chats when a camera is not present.

10. nineteentwelve macrumors regular

It was just an example. ;)