Quick itunes question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jwassel, Aug 19, 2008.

1. jwassel macrumors member

how do i import the tv shows i have on my computer, into the TV Shows Section of ITunes?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can drag and drop them into iTunes, they will appear as Movies, then change all the video types to TV Show - but I believe there are some 3rd party programs that will automate that part of it, so when you drop them, they will appear as TV Shows.

Try Lostify

3. jwassel thread starter macrumors member

dragging and dropping isnt working

i cant drop into the screen nor the Movies tab

4. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

What File format are these movies in? iTunes won't add it if it can't play it. You may need to convert them using a converter such as iSquint.

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I concur. They should have a file extension of .mp4

You can test them by trying to play them in QuickTime Player. If they play ok, you should be able to drag and drop them into the Movies Pane of iTunes. Then do a "Get Info" on each and change the Video format from Movie to TV Show.

You will then see each move to the TV show section of iTunes from the Movies section.

6. jwassel thread starter macrumors member

they're .avi
    and they do play

so i guess i need to convert them to.mp4? how do i go about doing that?

7. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

You can hit return and write name.mp4 instead of name.avi. Got it?;)

8. jwassel thread starter macrumors member

9. jwassel thread starter macrumors member

i changed one to MP4 just to test it out....

now not only can i stil not drag it into ITunes, i cant play the file either....

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

changing the extension doesn't change the encoding. that sometimes works, most times does not. try downloading stomp, which compresses files. or if you have quicktime pro, you could also export or save as to a different encoding.

11. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Well,sorry about that...I never had that problem...Change again the extension to .avi and then use a converter as SnowLeopard said!

12. Luke212 macrumors newbie

i having the same problem as jwassel i want to put some tv shows i have into Imovie but they are .avi is there any way to change the encoding that will then make them compatible?

13. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

If you're willing to pay a few dollars, just use VisualHub. It's an easy converting tool and can handle numerous files at once. Just set up a long list in the queue and go to bed while it converts them for you. Then I'd recommend MetaX (free) to tag all the info so it will show correctly in iTunes. Good luck!

14. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Download MPEG Streamclip to convert the avi files to mp4 files.

Then download MetaX for tagging the mp4 files. This tags the meta data.

Once you put the files through these two processes, they will be good to go in iTunes.

b.

(ps: both free apps!)

15. Luke212 macrumors newbie

I can open my .avi files with MPEG Streamclip but i can't see how to convert them. I am now just trying to use Isquint, that a good program?

16. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

MPEG Streamclip should've included a detailed manual in the download. Look for that. On the other hand, iSquint is a free and basic version of Visual Hub, so yeah, it pretty good.

17. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

There is a learning curve but about 20-30 mins and you'll know how to use most of it.

1. Open MPEG Streamclip (MS) and click File | Open Files...
    2. When your file is imported into MS, click File | Export to MPEG-4...
    3. There is then a list of options to choose from on how you want the mp4. I suggest clicking the 'iTunes' button and choosing your preferred size.
      Multipass can improve the quality but be aware that it can take up to 3/4 hrs to encode (for a file size of 1 to 1.5 GB) if you click it.
      Leaving the quality bar at 50% has no noticeable effect (on my encoded files anyway)

If you are unsure about which settings would look best for your file I suggest that once you import the file to MS, you take a sample of the file., say 1-2 mins in length. (In the preview window press 'I' for where you want the sample to start and press 'O' for where you want it to end. Think of it as I=in, O=out)

Then export to MPEG-4.
    Avoids you having to sit through a whole encode before realising you may not like the settings you chose.

Hope that helps.

b.

BTW, click Help | MPEG Streamclip guide will give you more info.