Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
As Apple have just made available TV shows to the UK, I have a couple of questions (and seeing as Lost Series 3 is cheaper on iTunes than on Amazon, and available almost 2 months sooner!)

Are the files protected in the same way that iTunes music store files are (before DRM free stuff)? If so, I assume that means they can only be played on my computer.

Is it possible to rip the files to DVD in some way and play them on a standard DVD player hooked up to a telly?

How big is a typical 45min. TV show (Lost S3, for example)

Are they generally acceptable quality (including sound)? I had a quick look at the 30s preview full screen, and it seemed pretty good.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the basic questions :D

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
about 450 MB per episode - and the quality looks great -

i would think protection is on these things so only backup to DVD

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
about 450 MB per episode - and the quality looks great -

i would think protection is on these things so only backup to DVD

Thanks for the reply - I might wait until I'm at university before downloading them then! (10Mbit connection :D)

Also, do the shows play "forever", or are they like 4OD/BBC iPlayer where they stop working after a while? I assume it's the former, but would like to check.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Thanks for the reply - I might wait until I'm at university before downloading them then! (10Mbit connection :D)

Also, do the shows play "forever", or are they like 4OD/BBC iPlayer where they stop working after a while? I assume it's the former, but would like to check.

you buy it, you own it

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
you buy it, you own it

Thought so - just wanted to make sure :)

One final question. Is it possible to store downloaded TV shows on an external HD, while keeping my iTunes Music Library on my internal HD? And still watch the TV shows through iTunes without having to "import" them onto the internal HD (assuming the external drive is plugged in)

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Thought so - just wanted to make sure :)

One final question. Is it possible to store downloaded TV shows on an external HD, while keeping my iTunes Music Library on my internal HD? And still watch the TV shows through iTunes without having to "import" them onto the internal HD (assuming the external drive is plugged in)

Yes, you can either have two libraries, or all your tv shows on an external HD and create aliases for them in your itunes folder (I think that will work...)

or just hold down command (or control/option) I forgot which one... when dragging it into your library, so that it doesn't copy it to your itunes folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.