Quick Launch Camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noobinator, Sep 2, 2016.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

One thing I really hate about iPhones compared to Samsung and Nexus is launching the camera. Samsung has double tap the home button to launch and Nexus has double tap power button to launch. The samsung implementation is so fast it's crazy. I wish Apple could find a way to implement something like this.

Does anyone else hope the new iPhone has something similar? It's the one thing I like better about the mentioned devices.

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

With iOS 9 & 10 you don't even have to unlock your phone.
    1. Wake it up by pressing either the home button or power button
    2. Slide the camera icon in the lower righthand corner of the lock screen all the way up.
    How is this slow or poorly implemented?

3. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

In my opinion waking the phone and using a slider is way slower than double clicking a button. I've used both implementations and the samsung is much faster.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I suppose there are literally milliseconds of a difference, but each to his/her own, I suppose.

Probably some Jailbreak tweak somewhere.

5. Mr.Blacky macrumors regular

I feel like, this is just complaining for the sake of complainin. Because if you await someting to happen, you'll likely have the camera ready anyway. And if something happens really fast and unexpected, you will be too slow anyway. I don't think a fraction of a second more or less will make any kind of a difference!

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

There won't be many situations where that one sec longer doing it the Apple way compared to Samsung would make any difference though.

7. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Not a complaint really, deal breaker or a huge deal it was just something I enjoyed on the competition's phone. The apple way feels clunkier to me.

I am sorry for speaking the S word in these forums. I shall recoil to my cave and give myself 3 lashes. I bow to you.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

What a stupid statement. Literally not one person has given you crap for bringing up Samsung. I'm so over victim mentalities

9. erayser, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016

erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I think it would be nice to have a camera quick launch feature on my iPhone on stock iOS... without having to install a jailbreak tweak. I've missed some moments being in an app, and searching for the camera icon. Easier to click the sleep/wake button then slide the camera icon from the lock screen, but still too long.

Since I started using my S7 Edge, I see how useful the quick launch camera app is. Pull out my phone, double click home button and right into camera app. Also, if I'm in the middle of email, browsing, or texting, I can double click into camera, click a picture, click the back button... and right back in the previous app I was in.

Also, I wish my iPhone had both camera and video button accessible like my S7 Edge. I can instantly click video record or snap a shot without having to slide to the mode first. I switch between my iPhone and S7 edge frequently, so it would be nice if both had the same/similar feature. It would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

10. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

The quick launch feature was fantastic on the note 7. One of the best implementations I've seen. The real value comes when you are in some random app and you need to take a picture as soon as possible. You don't even have to think, you don't have to look at your screen or swipe anything. Just double press that home button and you are ready to take a photo. It would be great if apple added something like this.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There is. It's called Activator, one of the oldest and most stable tweaks in the jailbreaking world. It allows you to select almost any action and physical button on your phone to do something else.

In my case I have it set to mimic iOS 10's swipe to the right to get the camera on the lockscreen. But, I can also just hold down my home button anywhere to get the camera.

Also, when stock it's not quite as easy getting to the camera when unlocked. If your camera app is in the dock sure, but if it's buried in a folder or on a homescreen you are not currently looking at you have to swipe to it and then open it.

Of course, not a huge delay and I understand the argument of delay in the purpose of this thread. But a delay nonetheless.

Finally, there ARE jailbreak tweaks that directly deal with this delay. They allow pictures to be taken directly by whatever action you have set up no matter where you are on the phone (homescreen, lockscreen, in app) without the camera app even being open.

Of course you're never going to be sure what you actually got, but that kind of jailbreak tweak is available.

12. 5684697 Suspended

The iOS camera is clunky and slow to get into operation when you are using an app which causes missed shots. Even the camera mode selector causes inadvertent selections and is very difficult to see in daylight.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Does not matter how fast I can get my camera up and running as the subject has always moved or the perfect image has passed me by!

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

While perhaps faster, we are talking about a second of a difference or so, just to put it in perspective. That aside, it seems like Apple's implementation likely cuts down on accidental activation of camera either when taking the phone out of somewhere or putting it somewhere or just while its somewhere and the buttons are accidentally pressed (which is certainly more likely than a button being passed and an action on the screen itself being taken). I mean I'm for even faster access to camera, as long as it doesn't come at the cost of something else potentially.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 2, 2016 ---
    Now that is something that can be useful while using the phone and needing the camera.

15. 5684697 Suspended

The problem is that accessing the camera is not a positive, reliable task, especially if you are in another app. Even the slide up feature on the lock screen or control center doesn't work reliably. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't.

Then you accidentally touch a part of the camera screen and find yourself in slo-mo video. Common when trying to adjust the exposure slider.