Quick Leopard Finder question - sidebar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thomasp, Sep 5, 2007.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Having looked at all the screenshots of the test versions of Leopard that have been floating around the internet, one thing that's struck me is that the sidebar on Finder windows doesn't seem to have one (what I consider) key feature - the ability to add/drag & drop your own folders as shortcuts to the sidebar, like you can in Tiger.

Can anyone confirm or deny if you can add your own folders to the sidebar in Leopard?

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I'm curious at how you've arrived at that conclusion from just looking at screen shots. How can the sidebar "look" like it doesn't support that.

Since I'm a developer I'm not allowed to tell you that it does. That would violate my NDA. Sorry.

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looking at this screenshot from 9A527 everything looks a bit "set in stone" and nowhere to add additional icons, like in Tiger. Although I assume you might be able to drag something to the "Places" category.

This screenshot, also from 9A527 says to me that the "Places" category is fixed and can only have the four items shown there.

Oh right. I didn't realise such a thing would be covered by the NDA.

I guess I'll just have to wait until Leopard comes out and ask then - I do use the sidebar, with my own additions, quite a bit in Tiger for me not to notice that you can't add your own things to it in Leopard.

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Yeah, so no developer can tell you that your fears are unfounded. Sorry about that.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

my guess is to liken it to itunes. is the sidebar on the left set in stone? can playlists not be added or removed? i think you're worrying for nothing.

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Yes you can add folders apps whatever to sidebar.

7. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I think Nugget was trying his hardest to let the cat out of the bag ;)

8. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's a good point - thanks for that. I was forgetting that the Leopard Finder interface came from iTunes 7
    I did re-read that a couple of times and wonder if there was a hidden meaning with Nugget's post, but didn't want to say anything in case it made me look like more of an idiot :D

Thanks for the replies everyone :)