Quick Logo Critique

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by FatDaddy 64.5, Oct 6, 2008.

1. FatDaddy 64.5 macrumors newbie

Just want quick feed back on this logo that I'm designing without explaining anything as to what the company is. Athletically how does it look? What comes to mind when seeing this Logo? Anything else you may want to comment about or advise would be grateful considering that I did not explaining the company that this logo is associated with. I'm just looking for reactions at this stage.

To one designer to the next.....thanks!

Attached Files:

2. FatDaddy 64.5 thread starter macrumors newbie

"Athletically how does it look?" I ment aesthetically how does it look. Hey I'm a designer and with that comes bad spelling. :)

3. one3 macrumors regular

Few quick comments. I think in general it works. A few tweeks I would suggest:

1. Don't capitalize the "N"s at the start and end.
    2. Try tying in the words with the 'stary' image better ... maybe get rid of the black box and continue the sky blue down behind the text

Overall it's a nice start for sure.

If I had to guess at what the logo is for ... some sort of charity to help sick kids, give hope, that sort of thing.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I would have the star's trail start near the first 'N' for balance. Align it with the lowest part of the star and bring it in from the border equal to the right-most side of the star.

5. p.luik macrumors regular

I would consider getting rid of the blue border around the star or maybe make the star "lickable", or both!

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yes make a reflection of the sky go underneath the letters. that would look awesome! you can do this in Photoshop and there are many guides on the net on how to do this.

also make the 2 a bigger size instead of the two Ns.

7. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I really like your design...

But something doesn't sit right with me with the orientation of the star...

It may or may not improve it but try the star with a slight angle as if its heading out of the image, so the top point is heading about 30-45º more clockwise.

Also have you thought of trying the trail with a fade so it fades in from left to right?

8. Toneboat923 macrumors member

loose the black box and the sky..try the shooting star with the text..lose the capital n's and connect the star to the n

9. shawnathan macrumors member

shawnathan

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking.

10. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Looks very late 80's ish. Reminds me of an after-school special. Or one of those inspirational photos with a lame quote underneath. I don't mean to be harsh, it's just the feeling it brings to mind.

11. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I would get rid of the black border and make the blue space fade out...and put the bottom words on top of the blue space...just to make things simpler...

Or get rid of the black box and turn the white text blue...and put some more tracking.

But generally it looks cool...and yes 80s...but that's a good thing.

12. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

13. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Bingo.

Nix the box and the background. Play with the letters, the star, and the trail only.

To me, the first thought seems to want to gravitate toward a hand drawn, informal look.

14. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

without knowing anymore info, this is the best i can do.

aesthetically, it's pretty decent. The stroke around the star is odd looking, and you might consider making the star look a little less generic. angle it, rotate it, revolve it (3 dimensionally), whatever, less "wingding-ish".

now, i must say that this has very limited reproduction usage, and you may want to consider simplifying it. i agree with everyone on getting rid of the black box and tying the tail of the star in with the text. Also, play with the weight of the tail. make it look less like a stroke and more "tail"-ish (ie. go from thin to thick). Personally, i would lose the sky, but maybe play with incorporating sky like things in with the logo. Maybe use a few of the smaller stars around it to give it "sky feel" without having to be so literal. Yeah, that's what it needs to be...less literal.

-je

15. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

It reminds me of a logo always see on Public access television for a company called DIC

Here is a wikipedia article on the company.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIC_Entertainment

One of their logos is the shooting star. Very similar to what you created.

16. FatDaddy 64.5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input. I will work on those suggestions. It's always good to get fresh set of eyes on a project, if you know what I'm saying.

17. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

What would it look like if it was more square like, with the text below the box in its own space, on two lines?

ie.

[square]
    NEXT2
    HEAVEN

18. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I agree. It tends to 'run together' as it is now, and doing this would separate them a bit and make it more readable.

I'm not sure about the reflection - I don't care for images underneath typing like that.

I'm also more for the "make it work in B&W" rather than using colours and gradients, but you probably already know that.

19. wongulous macrumors 6502a

I haaaaaaaate small caps with bookending. Please, if you make ONE change to this logo, don't do that. I also agree with the angling of the star and removal of the black box. Try to make a logo that can be seamlessly changed from black and white (print), to 3-color (advertising or embroidery or business cards), to grayscale (with gradient, for other print purposes), to full color (with gradient, like for the web).