Quick Look always on top?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by redwarrior, Jun 26, 2008.

1. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I have found myself using Quick Look a lot. My problem occurs when I am viewing info from docs and filling that info into other applications. When I click into another app, Firefox, for instance, using Google Docs, my Quick Look window disappears. How do I make it stay in the front so I can view it while I'm working?

(Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I searched and couldn't find my answer.)

2. mattrobs macrumors member

They're HUDs. That's how they work. They float above all windows of the parent application and disappear when another app is in focus. Just like palettes.

3. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

I guess you're telling me there's no way around it? Cause I moved my finder window to a location on the screen so that it would not be infringed upon by my browser. And when I use my browser the Quick Look goes away but the finder window stays there. It would really really help me if I could find a way to make this work.

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

If it's some sort of text just open it in text edit, or a photo, in preview. It's not designed to stay there when you use firefox. You could probably open whatever it is inside another firefox window/tab.

5. redwarrior thread starter macrumors 603

redwarrior

I can use preview, just Quick Look is easier. Also, I'm a noob here, so I'm learning. I just installed Xcode and am trying to get PDFView to work (which is what I'm looking at mostly). But I'm stuck there too. I'll play with that a little more and then require help of the community again. I appreciate everyone's help.:rolleyes:

6. bizdata macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. Having the same question. I've even opened thread at Apple Discussions but no wothy answers yet. QL worked such way in 10.6.8 after applying the following string in Terminal:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder QLHidePanelOnDeactivate 0
    But it doesn't work in Lion :(