Quick Look being very slow

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by seattle29, Oct 12, 2013.

1. seattle29 macrumors member

I have a very fast machine (a 2013 MacBook Air), and under Mountain Lion, the previews of things such as JPGs, PDFs, DOCXs was instant - press space bar or cmd-Y, and the preview would pop up on screen instantly.

Under the GM of Mavericks though, it takes 2-3 secs for previews to appear. After pressing the keyboard shortcut, nothing happens for 2-3 secs, and then the box suddenly appears on screen.

Has this happened to anyone else? I can't see a reason for it

2. garagethrash macrumors member

I've got he same mac and it happens to me too. not 100% of the time though, and sometimes it will lag on something tiny like a jpeg, and then instantly show a huge pdf.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

same here. i'm on a retina macbook pro. preview takes way too long to open when you hit space to preview pretty much any file.

4. jeanlain macrumors 65816

On my (unsupported) Mac Pro, it may take some times to show the content of folders (like the Application folder). It could be due to quick look as well.

5. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Same here. I thought it was just me, but there might be some performance problem with it.

6. sprawl2 macrumors newbie

I'm seeing this as well, on a retina Macbook Pro. Good to know it's not just me.

7. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

8. Powermax macrumors regular

Same problem here on my rMBP. Sometimes I even get to see the beachball for a second. :mad:

9. alkar macrumors regular

same issue on iMac late 2013... The very first quick look in a while takes like 2-3 sec to show up, then the others are instant.

Till you repeat it again later, then it's slow again. Definitely a bug, never noticed this issue in 10.8.

10. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I no longer have this issue after a clean install of the final release.

11. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Just piping in that I have the exact same problem - even on a clean install. Beachballing for a second, then kind of "lagging" and showing the quicklook contents.

When searching in the Spotlight menu, photos are also very laggy when going up and down. It must be related to Quicklook or something in Finder. Hopefully someone will have reported this internally (dev account).

12. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava